Silpat Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
I just purchased my first 2 silpats and wanted to find out if there is anything special I will need to remember about using one?

Do I need to be more careful with heat or how long it cooks?

Any special cleaning instructions?

I already know you aren't suppose to use grease, cut or fold them. But any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. These things are too expensive to ruin one because I didn't know something important.

I don't know a lot about them, but we used them to make cookies for dessert cups (for ice cream) in cooking school last week. The oven was at 350 F., and they were cooked for 8-10 minutes. Not much help, but it's the first time I ever used them... they are great for this application, as we had to get the flat cookies off the pads quickly and form the cups over the bottom of a glass before they hardened. There wasn't even a threat of them sticking... :chef:

I can't get over the eeewww factor with those things. They just feel creepy to me. I'd rather use parchment paper.

IcyMist - read the instructions that came with your [sic] "silpat" mats. Silpat is actually a trademark/brand name - silicone impregnated mats are the same thing basically - depending on how they are made. Care and use depends on the composition - and that is variable by manufacturer.

LOL HanArt - do you know what parchment paper is? It's silicone impregnated tissue paper. It's essentially the same thing as a "SilPat" baking mat - just not as durable.

Thanks everybody, appreciate the answers. Note to Self....toss the parchment paper in toilet.

Michael, silicone-coated paper has a completely different feel. I can handle that and I can handle silicone cooking utensils like brushes and spatulas, but not interested in the bakeware or Silpat sheets. Like I said, it's the eeewww factor.

Has anyone found any info regarding health safety? Seems like most plastic is considered BAD (carginogenic, distupting normal hormones, etc.). obviously this is not the same as the plastics, but I would like to read some scientific info.

Lorie - unless you have a MS or PhD in Chemistry, and a copy of the CRC Handbook ... you're probably not going to understand the "scientific info". But, you can go to www.fda.gov and weed your way through the material and you'll eventually find everything "scientific" you want to know.

There are many forms of silicone (sand and oxygen) with various additives which makes silicone versitile for various uses - 1,200 or more. Some are medical grade (like breast and testicular implants), some are for sealing compounds which are toxic if ingested, there are some used as food additives, and some like the coating on parchment paper and silicone baking mats are food grade and non-reactive with foods.

Food grade silicone is non-toxic and safe - if you follow the instructions (mainly the temperature range). It has to be tested and approved by the FDA to be sold in the US. The original silicone baking mats (Silpat) and silicone baking pans were developed in France - which has a tougher testing standard than the FDA when it comes to food safety.

Yeah, as HanArt said - it's got that "ewwwwww" factor - like candy gummy worms.

I like my silpat. Yes initially when you are not used to it, the feeling is a bit strange. They appear to feel greasy even after you wash them with warm water or wipe them down.

I however love to bake with them and also love to use them to cool my chocolate covered biscotti's and other cookies.

Nothing seems to stick on them. They are pricey but are well worth it if you are really into baking. I have had mine for almost 4 years now.

I have parchment as well but Silpat's are just more convenient to me because they lie much flatter and it's easier to mold sticky dough (like biscotti loaves). Parchment keeps raising up and can be a frustration sometimes to get down correctly on a tray without greasing.

I love my 2 silpats makes great parmesan crisps and you can roll pie dough out on them also but you still should still use a little flour for that

I've had mine since they first came out. I have to have every new toy ya know!! I love them but there are a few things to keep in mind. Never put them in the dishwasher. Just hot soapy water and rinse - they'll still feel greasy but that's because of the silicone - the nature of the beast. Never cut on them. When using them to bake butter cookies or chocolate chip cookies or basically anything with a high butter/fat content, the cookies will spread more. For things like this I use parchment paper. They're indespensible for meringues or almond paste cookies or macaroons-things that tend to stick even to parchment. I make almond paste cookies at christmas & they don't burn on the bottom and they slide right off the silpat, neither of which would happen if I used parchment.

Yakuta said:
Parchment keeps raising up and can be a frustration sometimes to get down correctly on a tray without greasing.

Turn the parchment paper upside down and that won't be a problem.

designerobsessed said:
... I love them but there are a few things to keep in mind. Never put them in the dishwasher. Just hot soapy water and rinse - they'll still feel greasy but that's because of the silicone - the nature of the beast. Never cut on them. ...

There was a big discussion about silicone baking mats on the FoodTV board about a year ago. It was mainly about the cost effectiveness of silicone mats VS parchment paper. But, in researching them I did discover some interesting things:

CLEANING: All mats were the same in one respect, as designer noted, Never Wash Them In The Dishwasher! But, depending on the brand - the cleaning instruction fell into one of three catagories:

1. Only wipe clean with a DRY cloth, never use soap or water on them.
2. Only wipe clean with a damp cloth, never use soap on them.
3. Clean with warm soapy water and rinse with warm water.

STORAGE: Again, depending on the brand:

1. Store flat - do not roll up.
2. May be stored rolled up - be it's recommended they be stored flat.
3. May be stored rolled up - but not too tightly. If I remember right, most of them that said you can store rolled up recommended about a 4-6 inch diameter as the minimum.

MAX TEMPERATURE: This also varies by brands/models - some as low as 325-350 F - on up to about 450 F. Since food grade silicone utensils have evolved over the past year or so there may be some that can handle higher baking temps ... I don't know.

This is why when someone asks about cleaning, storing or temperatures I always say, "Read the instructions that came with your mat." I'm not just being lazy. They're not all the same!

FWIW, as for the price thing (based on the prices about a year ago) ... silicone mats generally average out to 0.7 - 1.2 cents per use based on where you get them and how many uses you get out of them (some $10 mats are good for only 1,000 - 1,500 uses - while the more expensive mats in the $25-$35 range are good for 3,500 to 4,000 uses). Parchment paper will generally run you 3-15 cents per sheet - again depending on where you buy it and in what quantity. Buying it in bulk from a restaurant or bakery supply might be about 3-5 cents per sheet, buying the small rolls from the grocery store will generally run in the 12-15 cent per sheet range. So, compared to a $25 silicone mat that you can reuse 3,500 times .... 3,500 sheets of parchment paper in bluk will run you about $105-$175, and the small rolls of parchment paper from the grocery store will run you about $420-$525!

Just makes parchment paper more attractive to moi. I have no desire to baby a mat so I can reuse it "3,500" times.

Got this off Demarle's website:

The SILPAT and ROUL’PAT nonstick sheets are made of woven glass coated with food-standard silicone. Used daily by professionals, the sheets are multi-purpose for preparing, cooking or heating up food.
Easy to clean: Simply wipe off using hot water and dish soap.
Easy to store: Roll them up or store them flat.
Do not cut your Silpat or Roul’pat with metal. Exoglass cutters or knives recommended.

SILPAT: Food graded. Replaces parchment paper. Reusable between 2000 to 3000 times. Heat resistant up to 536F. Makes any baking sheet nonstick. No greasing necessary.

ROUL’PAT: Roul’pat adheres to your worktop, making it the ideal tool to roll-out any kind of dough.

Warranty: Limited Warranty.

2 Years Limited Warranty

RECTANGULAR SILPAT
Multi-purpose baking sheet for baking or warming up cookies, pastries, pizzas, quiche, tarts…
It makes it very easy to work with sticky materials such as taffy or caramel. Best of all, it won't stick, it is not messy AND it will save you a few extra calories!
Silpat does not need to be greased, saving both time and money.
Length 16 ½’
Width Ref. ’ 11 5/8’’

SP295205 Small 8 1/16 x 11 5/81/2
SP420295 Medium 11 9/16 x 16 1/2
SP485365 Large 15 1/8 x 23

Back
Top Bottom