"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Silpat Questions

I just purchased my first 2 silpats and wanted to find out if there is anything special I will need to remember about using one?

Do I need to be more careful with heat or how long it cooks?

Any special cleaning instructions?

I already know you aren't suppose to use grease, cut or fold them. But any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. These things are too expensive to ruin one because I didn't know something important.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I don't know a lot about them, but we used them to make cookies for dessert cups (for ice cream) in cooking school last week. The oven was at 350 F., and they were cooked for 8-10 minutes. Not much help, but it's the first time I ever used them... they are great for this application, as we had to get the flat cookies off the pads quickly and form the cups over the bottom of a glass before they hardened. There wasn't even a threat of them sticking...

Old 05-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #3

I can't get over the eeewww factor with those things. They just feel creepy to me. I'd rather use parchment paper.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

IcyMist - read the instructions that came with your [sic] "silpat" mats. Silpat is actually a trademark/brand name - silicone impregnated mats are the same thing basically - depending on how they are made. Care and use depends on the composition - and that is variable by manufacturer.

LOL HanArt - do you know what parchment paper is? It's silicone impregnated tissue paper. It's essentially the same thing as a "SilPat" baking mat - just not as durable.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:00 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Thanks everybody, appreciate the answers. Note to Self....toss the parchment paper in toilet.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Michael, silicone-coated paper has a completely different feel. I can handle that and I can handle silicone cooking utensils like brushes and spatulas, but not interested in the bakeware or Silpat sheets. Like I said, it's the eeewww factor.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Has anyone found any info regarding health safety? Seems like most plastic is considered BAD (carginogenic, distupting normal hormones, etc.). obviously this is not the same as the plastics, but I would like to read some scientific info.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Master Chef

Lorie - unless you have a MS or PhD in Chemistry, and a copy of the CRC Handbook ... you're probably not going to understand the "scientific info". But, you can go to www.fda.gov and weed your way through the material and you'll eventually find everything "scientific" you want to know.

There are many forms of silicone (sand and oxygen) with various additives which makes silicone versitile for various uses - 1,200 or more. Some are medical grade (like breast and testicular implants), some are for sealing compounds which are toxic if ingested, there are some used as food additives, and some like the coating on parchment paper and silicone baking mats are food grade and non-reactive with foods.

Food grade silicone is non-toxic and safe - if you follow the instructions (mainly the temperature range). It has to be tested and approved by the FDA to be sold in the US. The original silicone baking mats (Silpat) and silicone baking pans were developed in France - which has a tougher testing standard than the FDA when it comes to food safety.

Yeah, as HanArt said - it's got that "ewwwwww" factor - like candy gummy worms.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
Head Chef

I like my silpat. Yes initially when you are not used to it, the feeling is a bit strange. They appear to feel greasy even after you wash them with warm water or wipe them down.

I however love to bake with them and also love to use them to cool my chocolate covered biscotti's and other cookies.

Nothing seems to stick on them. They are pricey but are well worth it if you are really into baking. I have had mine for almost 4 years now.

I have parchment as well but Silpat's are just more convenient to me because they lie much flatter and it's easier to mold sticky dough (like biscotti loaves). Parchment keeps raising up and can be a frustration sometimes to get down correctly on a tray without greasing.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Michael in FtW,
Thanks so much for the info.