Size of cast iron skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
Dose anyone know what a #6 cast iron skillet is. I came across a rescipe for corn bread that insists on using a #6 pan. I have a 36 yr old cast iron pan with a stamp on it that says 8 inch, it measurs 9 at the top rim and 6 inches across the bottom, I have looked at my other cst iron pans and none of them have any markings. I have gone to the Lodge website and they don't seem to use sizing like #6, they use actual size, 6' etc.

I would think you could estimate whether your recipe will fit the skillet. Corn bread usually doubles in baking so pour in to a depth of maybe an inch and a half.
What is the name of the skillet?

I have a recipe for cornbread in a CI skillet. It calls for 3 cups of flour/corn meal and 1.5 cups of milk and a stick of butter (plus other ingredients). That recipe calls for a 10" skillet for a thick bread and a 12" skillet for a thinner bread.

I just looked at my Lodge skillets. The 6" (measured at the top) is marked 3. The 8" is marked 5 and the 10" is marked 8. The skillet page on Lodge's site lists a 9" pan with 6 in the position of the item number that corresponds to the 3, 5 and 8 in the item # of the pans I mentioned. Sorry but I couldn't figure out how to write that more clearly.

Maybe a 6 is a 9 inch. Do the quantities of flour and cornmeal seem appropriate to that pan size?

The cornbread recipe I use calls for 1 cup each of flour and cornmeal and calls for a 9" pan. I use my 8" and it when it's done, usually it's at the very top at the outer edge and puffs up a little, almost like a giant muffin.

Thanks, I cruised thru ebay, Griswold uses #6,#8 etc as their sizing,it looks like a #6 is around a 8" pan, I'll try my 8" pan and see how it goes, then my 10" Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom