Skillet recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I need to replace my favorite non-stick frying pans (10" and 12"). They are badly warped and I have a new glass top stove that demands flat bottoms. I need pans that will stand hard use and high heat without warping and are non-stick. Does anyone have any recommendations?

This new stove has been a real trip - nothing cooks the same way. The rest of my cookware is all-clad LTD. It's 20 years old and still in great shape (bottoms are flat too).

Any advice would be useful...

I personally love calphalon products. haven't failed me yet

just make sure to not use metal or anything that will scrap the pans. try and use silicon tools.

Guess i cant post the website. but just Google it.

I second Predator04's recommendation (welcome to the site by the way). My non-stick pans are Calphalon and I love them. They are very heavy duty. They weigh about as much as my All-Clad pans. Even though they say not to use them on high heat I do it all the time without any issues.

Depending on which line you get they have different warranties. I am not sure the name of my line, but it is one of the ones with a lifetime warranty, which I would recommend. Like any non-stick pan, the coating will eventually wear off. This happened to my 12" fry pan after about 6 years of heavy use. As long as you don't use metal in the pan (no visual scratches) and don't break any other rules (like putting it in the dishwasher) then Calphalon will replace it no questions asked. I sent my pan in and about a week or two later I received a brand new pan. The model I had was no longer in production so they gave me a comparable one which I actually like better than the original.

They heat very evenly and have no hotspots, just like my All-Clad. This is because of how heavy they are.

I second Predator04's recommendation (welcome to the site by the way). My non-stick pans are Calphalon and I love them. They are very heavy duty. They weigh about as much as my All-Clad pans. Even though they say not to use them on high heat I do it all the time without any issues.

Depending on which line you get they have different warranties. I am not sure the name of my line, but it is one of the ones with a lifetime warranty, which I would recommend. Like any non-stick pan, the coating will eventually wear off. This happened to my 12" fry pan after about 6 years of heavy use. As long as you don't use metal in the pan (no visual scratches) and don't break any other rules (like putting it in the dishwasher) then Calphalon will replace it no questions asked. I sent my pan in and about a week or two later I received a brand new pan. The model I had was no longer in production so they gave me a comparable one which I actually like better than the original.

They heat very evenly and have no hotspots, just like my All-Clad. This is because of how heavy they are.
Thanks for the welcome! and yes everything you said is correct. NEVER put them in the dishwasher! there usually so easy to clean anyways that putting them in there is a waste of space. you don't know how many people ive seen put good pans in the dishwasher and knives! NEVER put knives in there either. it bugs me so much to see that. anyways let us know what you get for pans and how you like them.

I think everyone has pans that fit their style of cooking. I personally have a lightweight anodized aluminum skillet that works really well for searing and sauteing. It is light, heats up fast and hot, has no noticeable hot spots and uses less energy than my older heavy Calphalon skillet. I find I always reach for this pan first as it is easy to use. I can start with a hot temp and quickly change to a lower one if desired.

Thanks for your various input. I went shopping this weekend and got a 12 inch Scan Pan. I'll let you know how it does - it's currently untested :)

Just got Allclad 10 and 12 inch non-stick at a reduced price at William-Sonoma. The manager said that there is a bit of a cookware war going on right now and we the consumers are benefitting. Yeah!

The skillet I have is made by ManPans. I like it because I can use metal utensils and the surface just seems to take abuse.

Sam'S club sales comercial frying pans, I've replaced all my calphalon frying pans with them. They are inexpensive and hold really well. They have all the sizes one might need. Check them out before spending big bucks on fancy brand name products.

A restaurant supply store will have your answer. Vollrath and Lincoln make killer nonstick aluminum frying pans. They use about 1/8 thick aluminum, multi layer nonstick and are meant to be beat. They will run you around $50. However the performance is amazing.

Just got Allclad 10 and 12 inch non-stick at a reduced price at William-Sonoma. The manager said that there is a bit of a cookware war going on right now and we the consumers are benefitting. Yeah!

If you have a Williams Sonoma outlet near you they practically give away Emerilware. It's All Clad's cheapest line. Not top of the line, but nice and heavy and good quality.

I got a 10 inch nonstick skillet for $19.99.

Like SnickersMom says, genuine All Clad is sold at fantastic discounts there, too. And online at Cookware and More.

I agree with Ted, a thick aluminum restaurant non stick will do the trick for less. (James Beard thought so too.)

Back
Top Bottom