Slow Cooker Crock in Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petek

Cook
I have an old (as in 25+ years old) crock that came from a slow cooker that gave up the ghost. How can I tell if it's oven safe? Say for temps up to 350* F.

I still have the original manual, but it doesn't address the issue. The manufacturer (H & H Appliances of Whittier, CA) doesn't seem to be around anymore (at least not on the web).

The crock is glazed on the inside, but not on the outside (it wasn't removable from the heating unit). The capacity is 5 qts. The crock is described as "stoneware." The glass cover is thick, with no obvious flaws. In case it helps, the original slow cooker was called a "Poke Along Crockery Cook Pot."

So, can anyone suggest a safe way to test this unit to ascertain its heating limit in an oven? Thanks.

Pete K.

Sometimes I gamble, but I definately wouldn't gamble with that. Here's how I look at it: You can buy a DO pretty cheap. If for some reason the crock fell apart and you got stew all over your oven, would it be worth the cost of a DO not to have to clean all that junk up?

Newer slow cookers come with warnings not to use the pots in the oven.

Thanks for the replies. Instead of using it in the oven, I think I'll use it for rising bread dough. It's about the right size and should keep the dough warm.

Thanks again.

Pete K.

I have often wondered the same thing, but always thought better of it, LOL. In my case using it to slow cook in the oven at temps no higher than 300 but usually closer to 250.

Any 25 year old stoneware, I would be more worried about possible lead in the finish than
in it breaking. Stoneware is cheap, buy new, and new stock. A lot of "new" stoneware has set on the shelf for a while, and could contain lead.

Back
Top Bottom