Slow Cooker/Leave it On When Leave House?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I leave mine on low whenever I need to leave the house. That's
why we have slow cookers...so that dinner will be mostly done on its own. I do leave it on a wooden board on my countertop

The only tiome I had a rpoblem was when I got home and the electricity was out.

you don't have to apologize tim. it's ok to be wrong... ;)

i used to trust the ul label implicitly until i had a fire using ul approved christmas lights.

later, i saw a news show about how the ul labeling thing has had some corruption and there are unsafe products being sold with the label.

i'm sure 98% of all people who use crocpots and go out for hours will never have a problem. i don't trust something made in china that uses a decent amount of current to always be safe.
just my maybe overly careful opinion.

you don't have to apologize tim. it's ok to be wrong... ;)

EXcept that I am not wrong. You are. Sorry to have to point that out. ;)

Chinese products are just as safe as any. Perhaps you can show me some stats that disprove that.

How about if you and I move this into PM's for further discussion. I can almost hear a Mods footsteps coming.

Last edited:
I think Chinese products that have legitimate UL and CE marks are probably as safe as any, but of course that does not apply to products that have a counterfeit mark. Chinese manufacturers have however been implicated in any number of product adulteration and counterfeiting schemes. Let's be thankful that those of us who live in US, CA and EU have more governmental protection than Chinese consumers in China.

I wouldn't worry about the crock pot too much as long as it's used on a relatively incombustible surface, and preferably where overspill won't damage anything. And of course do not purchase or use any appliance without UL/CE mark. (I think it's the usual case that virtually all appliances have UL mark for US and CE mark for Europe, so the products can be marketed anywhere.)

well said, greg. i 'm speaking from my own experience and that of my dad who was a firefighter in brooklyn for many years.

i might be overly cautious, but once bitten, twice shy.

well said, greg. i 'm speaking from my own experience and that of my dad who was a firefighter in brooklyn for many years.

i might be overly cautious, but once bitten, twice shy.
I am with buckytom on this. My cheap, made in China, food dehydrator died. The DH took it apart. The switch had a fail-safe component, the first part failed, the 2nd did not, luckily. I was home, but asleep. If both parts had failed, it could have started a fire. Many house fires are the result of a box fan failing. I know someone who's stove was defective, turned itself on, and the house burned down. Didn't all of our mothers tell us never to leave the dryer on when leaving the house? My DH's bread machine failed. He was in his machine shop, but when he went in for tea, the house was filled with smoke.

Slow Cooker

Thanks, all, for good input. I like suggestions to put cooker on cookie sheet on top of stove if nervous about leaving it. Since my old Crock Pot is no longer heating right, I went ahead and ordered the Crock Pot 6.5-quart touch screen recommended by Cooks Illustrated. Sounds like it works great, and it has an updated look. Free shipping from Amazon.com (which I single-handedly keep in business)....;)

Don't worry about Amazon. I buy all my CDs, DVDs and books there, especially cookbooks. I always bulk up until I have $25 for free shipping, and that's when I order. I've always been impressed with their service.

I've had particularly good results with used cookbooks in "excellent condition" or "like new condition." I bet a full quarter of my cookbooks are "lightly used" by a previous owner.

most crock pots today are made in china.

everyone here who trusts chinese factories with the safety and security of their homes, raise thier hands...
:mellow:

I had that same thouught a few posts back. I try to buy "Made in America" whenever I can. If it is union made. even better. Made in China gives me the willies. If I had to pick a foreign country where something is made, I have to say Mexico. They try to make a decent product so they can keep their job. And I haven't heard any horror stories 'yet.' :chef:

EXcept that I am not wrong. You are. Sorry to have to point that out. ;)

Chinese products are just as safe as any. Perhaps you can show me some stats that disprove that.

How about if you and I move this into PM's for further discussion. I can almost hear a Mods footsteps coming.

How about the baby formula? They manufactured a product that was killing their own people. Unfortunately there was a trial, the people responsible were found guilty and excuted. No appeals. The people of China do not value life the same way we do.

Many of the toys they send over here are loaded with lead. I have a friend that is a longshoreman on the West Coast. He told me that a lot of the stuff coming in from China, is sent back as unacceptable. Electronics are shoddily made and would definitely cause injury. A lot of the toys are sent back as too dangerous for a child to play with. We only hear about the ones that managed to get through.:(:(

How about the baby formula? They manufactured a product that was killing their own people. Unfortunately there was a trial, the people responsible were found guilty and excuted. No appeals. The people of China do not value life the same way we do.

Many of the toys they send over here are loaded with lead. I have a friend that is a longshoreman on the West Coast. He told me that a lot of the stuff coming in from China, is sent back as unacceptable. Electronics are shoddily made and would definitely cause injury. A lot of the toys are sent back as too dangerous for a child to play with. We only hear about the ones that managed to get through.:(:(

Even worse than toys or baby formula, how about medicines? GlaxoSmithKline plc is a global pharmaceutical, biologics, vaccines and consumer healthcare company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It is the world's third-largest pharmaceutical company. They make a product called Avandia for diabetes.

Studies, completed by the highly-respected Cleveland Clinic in 2007, found that Avandia increased risks of heart attack by 43%.But do we hear of it as loudly as we hear of the Chinese baby formula incedent? Nope. Most people never heard of it at all.

I'm not saying that Chinese products are free of faults, but I'm saying that they are improving quite a lot. Let's remember the tens of thousands of litigations in progress and finalized against shoddy products right here in the USA. Made in USA doesn't mean it's perfect and safe. We make lots of junk also. House fires are caused every day by electric devices made in the USA.

As far as safety goes, manufacturers in the USA had to be forced by law into following even the minimum of safety practices. Even today, OSHA catches and fines American companies every day for unsafe work areas and products. Look up the stats on OSHA's findings.

It just seems to me that everyone is so ready to blame China for eveything wrong in their life. It's a money thing, not a country thing. Greedy manufacturers trying to cut costs. It happens everywhere.

As a whole, I like Chinese people. I don't think much of their country's politics, but hell, I don't think much of the USA's politics either.

As far as manufacturing goes, businesses try to make things with as low of cost and high profit as possible. Lots of times, that causes an unsafe product because of shortcuts. That isnt' unique to china. Like I said, it happens every day with products made in every country.

When the Chinese government finds a problem with blatant greed that causes deaths, at least they don't tie up their court system with appeals and endless costly trials with politicians making publicity off it. They find out who did it, take them out back and put a bullet in their head. Then they charge the guilty persons family for the bullet.

Last edited:
Timothy - well said!

The product quality issue is not a country issue. It has nothing to do whether it's from a specific country. It's the manufactorers' onus to control and maintain the quality standard; and the regulators' too. Unfortunately, the big companies chase profits, not goodwill.

Anyway, let's drop this as I see this can become an endless topic which both sides can make numerous arguments and go on and on... let's just move on with slow cooker.

My personal experience with slow cookers and other electric appliances has been good so far.

I leave my slow cooker on for 8 hours while I'm out. I never had any worries.

But hey - this is very personal. I can't say one's concerns are not legitimate. Accidents do happen. It's a probability, or sheer luck or unluck when looking at individual case.

I think if you worry about safety and feel uncomfortable leaving it on unattended, you are completely reasonable to not to do that. Without using slow cooker, you can still manage to have dinner ready in reasonable amount of time after you get home in the evening. If you are happy with that way, it's totally fine.

Timothy - well said!

The product quality issue is not a country issue. It has nothing to do whether it's from a specific country. It's the manufacturers' onus to control and maintain the quality standard; and the regulators' too. Unfortunately, the big companies chase profits, not goodwill.

Anyway, let's drop this as I see this can become an endless topic which both sides can make numerous arguments and go on and on... let's just move on with slow cooker.

Thanks Savory! I agree totally. Product safety is an endless finger-pointing venture. Let's all get back to the topic of the forum; Cooking and Food!

I've used slow cookers for about 40 years without a single problem. I have no stats to prove it, but I would think the incidence of fire caused by faulty circuitry in slow cookers would represent about 0.001% of their total use. Think of how many millions of slow cookers on thousands of days, are left on all day while their owners are at work.

I think it's a non-problem.

My husband and I got into a discussion over whether or not I could leave for work with the slow cooker on. I presented my case, but he was still worried it would start a fire. We were having this discussion as I was making beef stew. I loaded up the slow cooker, turned the dial and left the house.

When I got home, I found the meat completely raw, and the dish looked just like I had left it that morning. Naturally, I called him to only to find that he didn't touch the crock pot. I tried to figure out what was wrong with it. I turned the dial, I checked to see if it got hot... nothing! I had forgotten to plug it in.

I guess I just wasn't supposed to leave it on that day. We ended up tossing several pounds of beef, tons of beautiful veggies, and having frozen pizza for dinner. As I look back, it could have been a lot worse.

I am all about the slow cooker and I regularly leave it on all day while i'm out with no supervision! I thought thats what they are for?!'

I find it best to cook on the lowest setting, especially with absence of 6 hours or more. Interested to know how it turns out.

I try to buy "Made in America" whenever I can. If it is union made. even better. Made in China gives me the willies. If I had to pick a foreign country where something is made, I have to say Mexico.

For me they would be either Germany or Japan, and you'll be paying higher prices for quality products.
But as far as buying crockpots in Germany or Japan, chances are, theirs are made in China as well.

I find it best to cook on the lowest setting, especially with absence of 6 hours or more. Interested to know how it turns out.

My crock pot is a Rival "Smart Pot".

It maintains 300F (verified by me) and cooks for 4, 6, 8 or 10 hours with one button push.

I love the thing and have never had a bad meal from it. The settings for 4-6 hours are marked as "High" and the 8-10 hour settings are marked as "Low". I've measured both and they hold 300F after ramping up to it. I think the time it takes to ramp up is the difference between low and high.

I categorize it as a "Perfect Slow Cooker".

It's fine.
I'd never got any problems to do this. But for sure, check that your crock has automatic warming.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom