"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
I'm asking for a grill pan for my birthday in a month. :) I got the loaf pan and 4 sided grater I asked for for Christmas.

Glad you got your birthday wish! Which grill pan do you have your eye on?

Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Not sure...I want a really big one, so I can cook for many.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
Not sure...I want a really big one, so I can cook for many.
Have you considered a cast iron reversible grill/griddle? It fits over two burners and gives you a lot of room to cook on: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LPGI3-Gr...dp/B00008GKDQ/
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one of those. I use it, but I hate it. It's big, heavy, a pain in the butt to do anything with immediately after cooking, or to put in the sink because it sticks up so high, or even to store. It seems I'm always moving it to get at something else. It's just awkward. Had I known then what I know now I would have bought two smaller pans.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Head Chef

Why not Cast Iron?

I know it's heavy but since it's a small pan it shouldn't be too bad.

I love cast for high temp cooking. And it's easy to care for.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have one of those. I use it, but I hate it. It's big, heavy, a pain in the butt to do anything with immediately after cooking, or to put in the sink because it sticks up so high, or even to store. It seems I'm always moving it to get at something else. It's just awkward.
I agree. My wife hates it when I leave it on the stovetop after cleaning, and off to work I go.... ... It is somewhat of a beast to handle.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Master Chef

And I didn't learn my lesson. A couple of months ago I ended up with another, even larger beast:

Amazon.com: Chef King 7 Gauge Steel Griddle, 14 Inch x 23 Inch: Kitchen & Dining
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm still going to get myself a small gas fired griddle one of these days and be done with the two burner griddle pan. I never use the grill bars side anyway. Well, once. For Pioneer Woman's Marlboro Man sandwich.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

I actually bought that huge 14x23 griddle to fit over the built-in Thermador grill in the kitchen. At least I can just leave it sitting there as it does not have to be moved.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have one of those. I use it, but I hate it. It's big, heavy, a pain in the butt to do anything with immediately after cooking, or to put in the sink because it sticks up so high, or even to store. It seems I'm always moving it to get at something else. It's just awkward. Had I known then what I know now I would have bought two smaller pans.
Couldn't agree with you more on that Pac.
Storage isn't a problem for mine. I slide it in under the cupboard with the other pots and pans. I'll chime in with 3 problems I've had.

My stove top no matter how it's placed on the burners it won't heat evenly.
Our stove top only has 2 burners that are the same size.Opposite corners. So that makes it cook unevenly.Actually it doesn't fit or work that way.Grease spatters everywhere.You have to be around to watch it closely.Constantly adjusting the burners. Smokes no matter how or what you do.

The other problem is afterwards my spotless stove top to begin with is extremely hard to clean the grease off of.It looks like it hasn't seen a good scrub in years.

It's ok for outdoor.I've since bought 2-10" Loge pans and have been extremely happy with them both. I didn't buy the lids for them. A foil tent does the job well for the splattering.The pans were cheaper at the time then the lids were that are sold separately. Those are used almost everyday. Haven't had any problems with them concerning sticking, splatter, smoke, or cleaning up.The handles are very comfortable to work with while cooking, they're a little longer, curved in just the right place. Plus you have a smaller side handle that's perfect for picking up and moving the pan to another burner.Cleaning is a breeze. Nothing has yet to stick to them.

Try making a panini on one. Gooooood stuff!

Munky's happy.