Small grill pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now for one, but maybe two later on once I feel more comfortable with my cooking skills.

I have both a 6 inch cast iron, round frying pan, and a 4 inch round, cast iron skillet. They are both well seasoned and work wonderfully as non-stick egg cooking pans, or small pieces of meat. Where I run into problems with them, is even with my smallest spatula, cooking anything that requires flipping, unless you can use tongs, is a royal pain. the surface is so small that you can't get a shallow angle to slide the spatula under the food. Instead, the food is pushed around, rather than lifted.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the north

Right now for one, but maybe two later on once I feel more comfortable with my cooking skills.

I would say the 8" Lodge is the smallest you could get away with for two. As with any pan for cooking meat, you are instructed to not crowd the pan so the meat will cook properly. Even the 8" Lodge may be too small for a couple of ribeyes or NY strip steaks.

I have both a 6 inch cast iron, round frying pan, and a 4 inch round, cast iron skillet. They are both well seasoned and work wonderfully as non-stick egg cooking pans, or small pieces of meat. Where I run into problems with them, is even with my smallest spatula, cooking anything that requires flipping, unless you can use tongs, is a royal pain. the surface is so small that you can't get a shallow angle to slide the spatula under the food. Instead, the food is pushed around, rather than lifted.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the north

Do you have Lodge Logic or a different brand?

Do you have Lodge Logic or a different brand?

Actually, my heavy, cast iron grill pan brand is Redstone 10 inch square grill pan. It's just the right size for me and DW. I got it as a Christmas present and don't know what store it came from. But the quality is excellent. Most of my cast iron is Griswold. It isn't made any more. I also have a Wagner 11 inch frying pan. It isn't made anymore either. But they all work very, very well.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I'm not sure the brand of cast iron really matters. I have a three-piece set of no-name-that-I-can-find in sices of 6, 8 and 10 inches that I've had for at least 25 years. I also have a 12-inch grill pan. I think the only difference between my old pans and newer ones is that newer ones often come pre-seasoned.

Two words - George and Foreman

Cooks both sides of the steak at the same time.

So did my reversible grid waffle iron, back in the day. It came with multiple reversible grids, making it a wonderful cooking tool. I wish I could find one like it today.

I'd also like to buy the parts to make a flame cooker that emits fire from the top and bottom, with a conveyor to move the food through at an adjustable, set speed. It would use parts from propane barbecues, and be for outdoor use only. That would be cool, or hot, depending on your perspective.;).

So did my reversible grid waffle iron, back in the day. It came with multiple reversible grids, making it a wonderful cooking tool. I wish I could find one like it today.

I'd also like to buy the parts to make a flame cooker that emits fire from the top and bottom, with a conveyor to move the food through at an adjustable, set speed. It would use parts from propane barbecues, and be for outdoor use only. That would be cool, or hot, depending on your perspective.;).

My parents had one of those reversible waffle iron/griddles. It did the job.

The conveyor flame cooker is available to anyone who wants to open a Burger King. It's how they cook their burgers (flame broiled, NOT fried).

My parents had one of those reversible waffle iron/griddles. It did the job.

The conveyor flame cooker is available to anyone who wants to open a Burger King. It's how they cook their burgers (flame broiled, NOT fried).

Yeh, I figured as much with the conveyor flame griller. But I'm just not planning on opening a Burger King. So, with some ingenuity, maybe I can design one for personal use. It would make a great project. Plus, think of it. You could cook any meat you wanted on it, as long as it fit into the conveyor. Control the flame size, and the conveyor speed and you can get your steaks any degree of doneness you would want. Or, grill up some chicken breasts, quick, or pork chops, or fish fillet's. But I'm gonna quit now. I'm off topic.

These are adorable! Do you think they could be used to grill small cuts of beef or chicken?

I do think you could use them, but you will only be able to cook something small in them. A hamburger or chicken breast. Depending on how you cooked it, there could be some splattering. If you are wanting something very small, I like them.

~Kathleen

I do think you could use them, but you will only be able to cook something small in them. A hamburger or chicken breast. Depending on how you cooked it, there could be some splattering. If you are wanting something very small, I like them.

~Kathleen

Well if they're too small I could always use them just for paninis! But they seem pricey compared to the Lodge pans.

I wonder how it compares to the Lodge Logic grill pan, which is priced a lot lower than the Le Creuset. Anyone know?

Amazon.com: Lodge L8SGP3 Pre-Seasoned Square Grill Pan, 10.5-inch: Home & Kitchen

I bought the Le Creuset because I like the look of it and I'm slowly replacing my old plain cast iron and glass Pyrex pans with it, so I have a collection now. I didn't pay full-price - I buy Le Creuset at the outlet store or TJ Maxx.

I really think you're over-thinking this :) Cast iron is cast iron. Any of these will perform and clean up pretty much the same.

I bought the Le Creuset because I like the look of it and I'm slowly replacing my old plain cast iron and glass Pyrex pans with it, so I have a collection now. I didn't pay full-price - I buy Le Creuset at the outlet store or TJ Maxx.

I really think you're over-thinking this :) Cast iron is cast iron. Any of these will perform and clean up pretty much the same.

I wouldn't know the difference because I'm a newbie cook. It's helpful for me to get feedback about different types of cookware.

Back
Top Bottom