"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #71
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawsakimx6 View Post
I may be late on this. Not sure, but i have a Swiss Diamond grill pan and i love it. They have 2 and I went with the one with the deeper sides to help prevent spatter. There are many great features, but the best is the browning of this pan. It browns meat like a stainless pan, but cleans better than all other nonsticks.

Just my $.02

Here is a link - it looks as if it is on sale right now (Jan 14 2014)

Swiss Diamond Nonstick Deep Square Grill Pan - 11 x 11"

What's the pan made of? Is it anodized aluminum?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Reviews state that this pan's non-stick qualities last about 6 months, and then the pans become junk. They also state that the warranty isn't honored. I bought some years ago, and found the same problem. In addition, the coating began to wear off, and I was using plastic utensils at the time. I just don't buy any kind of non-stick pans anymore, with the exception of a square, non-stick griddle that is used only over medium heat for pancakes and an occasional American style omelet.

That's my experience with Swiss Diamond cookwear.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I am super fast at getting back to people as you can see....

This pan is made from cast aluminum with their patneted nonstick coating on it. They have an induction version as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #74
Master Chef

Good grief is it made of gold? That pan is $144.00. That's nuts.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #75
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Does anyone know of a good small grill pan that isn't cast iron? I want to start incorporating more beef into my diet, and all I have is a large Calphalon grill pan that I don't want to use if I'm making a small steak.
I realize this thread is a few months old.
I'm also a newbie here.
But,...

I didn't see any responses to your question which recommended Carbon Steel pans. I just got one and the initial results are very satisfying.

Amazon.com: DeBuyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan, 7.9-Inch Round: Kitchen & Dining
Old 03-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippineggs View Post
I'm also a newbie here.
But,...

I didn't see any responses to your question which recommended Carbon Steel pans. I just got one and the initial results are very satisfying.

Amazon.com: DeBuyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan, 7.9-Inch Round: Kitchen & Dining

The OP was looking for a grill pan, not a fry pan.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #77
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippineggs View Post
I'm also a newbie here.
But,...

Thank you! I had never heard this type of pan, and it could be the answer to my prayers! What have you cooked in it so far?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #78
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The OP was looking for a grill pan, not a fry pan.

I guess I'm not familiar with how the two different types of pans are used. Looks like steaks can be cooked in both.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I guess I'm not familiar with how the two different types of pans are used. Looks like steaks can be cooked in both.
Yes, steaks can be cooked in both. The grill pan will put grill marks on the food cooked in it, and can be used for panini as well if it comes with a lid. Personally, I prefer steaks and chops seared in my cast-iron skillet. You get more yummy browning on the meat than in a grill pan
Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #80
Assistant Cook

Thank you GotGarlic. I didn't realize that style pan had it's own nomenclature. I had something like it years ago and threw it out. Everything stuck like crazy to it. I agree with you about preferring a flat bottom pan. After the outdoor grill of course.

Kitchengoddess8, I've only had it a few days. Fried some potatoes and flipped some eggs with it. It's a nice small size, heats evenly as far as I can tell and is much lighter than cast iron. It will supposedly outlive me unless it's terribly abused.