Source for cast iron cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This cookware (I am guessing due to looks and price) is "Made In China".
Please don't say..."Isn't everything"? I know/understand the drill! Ok?

As the owner of 25 or 30 pieces of Cast iron cookware I prefer Lodge brand iron... It is made here In the USA..Tennessee. Cost more...but you do "get what you pay for" and they stand behind their product 100%.

I suggest this as only an 'option' for your consideration!

Uncle bob

I have to agree with Uncle Bob here. Even the very best cast iron (Lodge & other big name brands) are relatively inexpensive.

I've had the opportunity to examine some of the "Made In China" cast iron, & it's pretty sad stuff. Not only thin, but Lord only knows if it's pure cast iron & not an emulsion of other metals to save cost.

Definitely not worth it in my opinion.

I have to agree with Uncle Bob too! I have 30 some pieces, most are Lodge but some are Wagner. I got hooked with my Great Gramma's frying pan! It still looks beautiful. I find a lot of mine at flea markets and will not pay over $20.00 for a piece. A good thick CI pan will outlive many generations! Breezy you are right. Some of that stuff is thinner than my stainless steel pans! Very sad stuff.

As far as cost coes cst iron is the cheapest one there. As far as quality, that is why I like to buy things that I can see and touch. But in all the truth it might be ok for the price. I do not buy cast iron anymore, just can't lift the stuff. Getting old, I guess.

I picked up a 12 in Lodge preseasoned skillet at our local Fleet Farm for under $13. That was its regular price. Inexpensive and cooks great.

I don't disagree about the Lodge, Griswold,Wagner, Favorite brands. I have some too. Sometimes you want a camping oven--there have been threads for that.
I don't want to spend $75 for a cute colored enamel cast iron frying pan that I might like to use as a serving dish along with some cooking. But I would spend $15 for it.
I have considered getting some 16oz. cast iron pots as individual serving pots for a cassoulet dinner. Some folks have been looking for a cast iron pot to make the NYTimes bread recipe in. There can be all kinds of reasons for buying different things that may not appeal to each and every one if the price is right.
I also don't want to pay collector's prices for some of the Griswold, etc. And a flea market is indeed a good place to get a CI pan that may have some seasoning started.
I don't find Lodge's "seasoned" line to be particularly "seasoned".

All of my Lodge pieces have come from the camping department of our local WalMart. Haven't paid more than $20 for any of them.

Cast Iron Dutch Oven

I am about to buy a cast iron dutch oven and don't know whether to get the one with a bail handle or 2 loop handles. They are the same price, so that is not a consideration, but I'm just not sure what the pros and cons of each would be. Can any members give me feedback on which I might be happier with? :wacko:

This is just my personal opinion, but unless you plan on hanging your Dutch Oven by the bail over a campfire, I'd go with the 2-sided end loop handles. Much easier to move without spillage & handle while cleaning.

Again - just my opinion.

BreezyCooking said:
This is just my personal opinion, but unless you plan on hanging your Dutch Oven by the bail over a campfire, I'd go with the 2-sided end loop handles. Much easier to move without spillage & handle while cleaning.

Again - just my opinion.
I agree with you Breezy, much easier to handle!

Candocook said:
I don't want to spend $75 for a cute colored enamel cast iron frying pan that I might like to use as a serving dish along with some cooking. But I would spend $15 for it.

You might look at Lodge's enameled cast iron. Their line called Lodge Color is more reasonably priced than most enameled cast iron. I have one of the skillets and a Dutch oven, and they are very nice, despite the fact that they were...gasp!...made in China. :LOL:

Yes, Lodge does have that line--$60 for a 5qt oven--and reports on it from another source is very favorable. And again, Innova and Daniel Bolud have nice ovens in the $50-75 range. The quote you (Dutchess) gave above was referencing the Cajun line I originally started this thread about--their enamel cast iron frying pans are very inexpensive as opposed to Le Creuset's and I might consider one at the low price--but not at the high price.

Back
Top Bottom