Splatter everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, so I have a 14" non-stick pan ith sides about 2 1/2" high. Every time I use it to cook chicken breasts, I end up with oil splattered everywhere. I don't think I'm using too much oil, or cooking too hot, when I watch Rachel ray do it she seems to use more oil than I do, and she says she gets the pan "screamin hot".

The other day, I was watching a YouTube video and the guy was using a stainless pan about the same size as my 14" pan, but the sides were much higher, maybe 6-8". Is this the best solution, or is there another? If so, where do i find one? I looked at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they don't have one.

OK, so I have a 14" non-stick pan ith sides about 2 1/2" high. Every time I use it to cook chicken breasts, I end up with oil splattered everywhere. I don't think I'm using too much oil, or cooking too hot, when I watch Rachel ray do it she seems to use more oil than I do, and she says she gets the pan "screamin hot".

The other day, I was watching a YouTube video and the guy was using a stainless pan about the same size as my 14" pan, but the sides were much higher, maybe 6-8". Is this the best solution, or is there another? If so, where do i find one? I looked at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they don't have one.

You need a spatter guard. You can find them in your local department store like WalMart in the cooking gadgets area, or near the pots & pans.

Basically it is a screen like material with a frame holding the screening in place and has a knob like a pot lid. The screen catches almost all of the spatter. It isn't real expensive, I think I got mine for around $5.:chef:

Last edited:
Are the breasts boneless/skinless? I only use "screaming hot" when I want to sear something. With chicken breasts or chicken thighs, I'm generally looking to brown them which doesn't require a "screaming hot" pan. I also only use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Hot pan, cold oil food won't stick. The stainless pan I use has a heavy bottom with 2" sides.

Craig

If you have a 6-8 quart sauce pan, you can sauté in that. The higher sides will keep splatter off the stove. A splatter guard is the other best solution.

If you make sure the chicken is dry on the surface, spatter will be minimized. Use paper towels to dry off the chicken before putting them in the hot oil. It's the water that makes the spatter.

Echo Andy. The cause of splatter is water. Not oil. Doesn't matter how much of it, and once past cooking temp, doesn't matter if it's more hot. Try drying thoroughly with paper towel, and even drier yet, coat with flour. Zero splatter to start...

As the chicken cooks however, it releases liquid. Which will splatter in the oil. So, splatter is unavoidable, just like kitchen clean-up is. A splatter guard is also a utensil for safety, so I recommend it too.

You need a spatter guard. You can find them in your local department store like WalMart in the cooking gadgets area, or near the pots & pans.

Basically it is a screen like material with a frame holding the screening in place and has a knob like a pot lid. The screen catches almost all of the spatter. It isn't real expensive, I think I got mine for around $5.:chef:

Mine has a handle like the handle on my frying pan. I hang it by the handle.

I wish mine did. I don't have much cabinet space and standing it on edge without having it fall over is a PITA. I have to stand almost on my head to get it situated, which plays havoc with my back. I needed it badly enough that I was just happy to find one.

I'm pretty sure I threw my splatter screen out. I haven't seen it in quite a while, plus it had a tear in it anyway so not worth using for something else.

I have a silicone splatter shield with a stainless handle. It's heat proof and rust proof and cleans up nice in the DW. It cost me around $5.00 and looks like this:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,370
I have a silicone splatter shield with a stainless handle. It's heat proof and rust proof and cleans up nice in the DW. It cost me around $5.00 and looks like this:

Where did you find it, Andy. I like that one!:chef:

Don't laugh, but if you have a K-Mart near by check there. Lately I have found that things I have been looking for and can't find at other stores I have been able to find there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom