Spots (pitting?) in Cuisinart cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popeye59

Assistant Cook
In the new Cuisinart Multiclad set I bought I cooked some peas in the 1.5 Qt pan. Only thing in the pan was water, frozen peas and some salt. There was nothing left in the sauce pan after serving. No salty peas sitting on the bottom or anything like that. This is what it looked like after I washed it out

img_983301_0_a782277a1c079d153713f9f851f8c5f1.jpg

img_983301_1_a805b216099563f5ae126146416cb012.jpg

Pretty sure this won't affect the cooking but am slightly concerned that it cold be an issue later down the line.

The warranty says in part that scratches, stains, discoloration and other damage to the external or internal surfaces that doesn't impair the functional utility of the cookware isn't covered. Hate to send them the sauce pan and the $7.00 for return shipping (as well as the money to ship it to them) only to find out they aren't going to cover it.

Is there a customer service number where someone might be able to give you a better idea of whether or not it would be covered? Since you just bought it, and only used it once, I would definitely talk to someone about it if I were you. That is unacceptable in my opinion. I would consider that a defect, NOT normal wear and tear.

Those don't rub out with your thumb?
Sometimes I get whitish spots from the dishwasher, but they rub off.

Wrights Stainless Creme works by a chemical reaction, and should remove the spots. I've never used the stainless, but use their copper creme with good results.

I don't think the spots will affect cooking, but if the pans are new, I would take it back to the vendor.

OK, these aren't dishwasher spots, hand washed it and towel dried it right away and since I got them from Amazon.com I can't just take it back. Gonna be some shipping involved. If I can clean them up I'll be fine with that. Sent Cuisinart an email to their customer service people and will wait to see what they say.

Pacanis: I stole your physics/law enforcement line for my signature on a different site...

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that adding salt before the water is boiling can cause pitting.
Stainless steel cleaner should get rid of those tho I think.

Yes, if you add salt before the water id boiling and it sits on the bottom of the pan undissolved it can cause pitting. I second the idea of using BarKeeper's Friend. I use that all the time on my SS cookware and on my Pyrex and Corning ware baking dishes.

Well, I have to run to Ace Hardware today anyhow, I'll pick some Barkeepers friend up and see if I can remove them.

Pretty sure it's salt marks. Keep in mind these are tools, notworks of art and tools get marked up when you use them. Those spots are harmless. It just irritates you because are brand new. It's like the first ding on a new car.

Andy M. said:
Pretty sure it's salt marks. Keep in mind these are tools, notworks of art and tools get marked up when you use them. Those spots are harmless. It just irritates you because are brand new. It's like the first ding on a new car.

Thank you Andy- I need to remember this one lol. I sometimes feel like it's a personal affront when one of my precious cooking tools starts to show wear. Unfortunately it's inevitable though :(

1/2 can of BKF, the 18VDC power drill with the Mother's polishing ball (used normally for polishing car wheels and such), a 1/3 of a can of Nev-R-Dull metal polish and 2 hours of buffing later and I can only see 1 of the larger spots. Drill is recharging now.

OK... I'm kidding, I did get some BKF and did a once over on it and a couple of the smaller spots disappeared. Heck, they may get cooked away... who knows?

It's not your fault

I have one Cuisinart pan, the 1.5 qt size. Bought it for the size and nice design shape. Same thing happened when I used it the first time to boil something in water. Small pits that never really came out. I think it's because the materials used in China are inferior to US made cookware (if you can find it). My 40 year old Farberware made in US NEVER did that. So enjoy the design and price of the Cuisinart but realize that Chinese products generally will have problems with either the materials or workmanship. That's why it's cheap.

Back
Top Bottom