"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

Gosh, have never had a problem with the deglazing thing. Once I learned about it for making sauce I wondered why it would not clean the pans. Boy did it help.

For stuff like taters or meats, will pour off any fat and add cold, not hot, water to a very hot pan (be careful). Find adding the water to a warm or cold pan does not do the trik.

For a cream type of sauce you need something to emulsify the fats, so I add a soapy water solution. Seems to work fine.

Have never heard of Power Dissolver though, sounds great. Will get some.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I think you may have hit upon something auntdot.
Typically when I am making creamed asparagus (on sale today for $1.49 BTW ) or home fries, I am eating right away. So, I am not adding water, soapy or otherwise, to a hot pan and deglazing it, not until I am finished anyway and then the pan is cool. This might just be why my results aren't worth the effort.
And no Dawn Power Dissolver at the grocery store. Oh well. Maybe Wally World carries it. I'd like to give it a try anyway, but I'm thinking my problem lies in letting the pan cool for half hour with the residue in it. It would be nice to spray something in it that goes to work while I'm eating.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Has anyone every tried to just dissolve dishwasher soap and hot water in the sticky/messy pan, and let it sit for a time?....works everytime for me, no matter what kind of mess is in the pan.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
Head Chef

Pacanis, no point in leaving the pan to cool. If it's a good pan, the heat in the base will be enough to carry on cooking the thin film left in the bottom of the pan, giving you a nearly burnt-on crust to have to clean off.

I'm with Ella. Leave the pan to soak as soon as you've finished cooking and then use ordinary washing-up liquid, hot water and the soft spongy side of the pan scrubber.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I often leave a pan or baking dish to soak overnight. It's a big help.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Or run some hot water into it with a little detergent to loosen the soil in a few minutes.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, letting it soak with dish soap. It just doesn't seem to do much. You do that with a non-stick pan and the faucet sprinkler with hot water will flush all the residue off and it's ready to dry and put away. Just one of the trade-offs from using SS I guess.

Boy, it's good to be online again. My cable internet went down a couple days ago in a windstorm. I found a free trial of AOL on one of my PCs until the DSL gets hooked up. Cable wanted 12 days to send a repairman out. C-YA Time Warner! Dial-up stinks though, especially when you only have one phone line and it's your business phone...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Well, I hope that you'll find some restitution from the hard time that you're having getting the pan clean.

Have you tried the power dissolver yet?

My laptop pc went completely south 2 weeks ago! It's being restored, but my friend has had to restore all the way back to the time when it was new 2 years ago!!

I'm using one of his pc's from his job until he's done fixing mine.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I know this is an old thread, but thank you to all of you who posted. This is really helpful. My new SS saute pan thanks you. Helpful to know how to make cleaning quicker. :)
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

You'll probably find that I started quite a few posts trying to learn something everybody else knew...