"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

SS- how do you deglaze?

I was told to add some water and bring up to a boil to deglaze/clean my new SS pans. I am having a bit of a problem having the pan come clean by just doing this with two things I cook; creamed asparagus (the cream residue) and fried potatos.
On the cream residue, I don't see any difference whether I deglaze right away or let the pan sit with some soapy water in it and scrub it when I'm through eating. Seems like the same amount of scrubbing is needed. Not that it's a lot, but the residue doesn't seem to "lift" off like with thinner gravies.

On the potatos, really I think my problem is I don't know how to treat the deglazing procedure properly, after all, there's hot oil in the pan when I'm through scooping my home fries out. Right now I pour off the oil, add water and bring to a slight boil. Am I perhaps not letting it boil long enough? Or am I supposed to heat up the oil in the pan by iteself?
Come to think of it, when I'm making a gravy I don't worry about adding water to the cooking medium...

Anyway, is there a certain procedure to deglazing SS cookware?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It sounds like you have the procedue right. Get the pan hot, add liquid and bring to a boil. Scrape using a wooden spoon.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmm, I do have it right? I guess why pans I make gravy in clean easier then, is because I've already been boiling and scraping a whisk in it.
I thought I was missing something.

Thanks, GB
Old 04-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

deglazing meat residue is lifting off proteins, but cream is fats and potatoes are starches, both react differently and need warm soapy soak and cleaning with a scotchbrite pad and something like bar keepers friend (great for stainless)
Old 04-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Robo, any tips on cooking potatos in SS?
They aren't sticking real bad (lots of oil), but they aren't "releasing" like meat does. I suspect from the reasons stated by you above. I'm wondering if it would be better to start flipping them right away.
I was really trying to get away from non-stick cookware, with only a small pan for eggs, but sometimes I find myself wishing for non-stick when I cook potatos or a cream sauce.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Cook

I use a good old fashioned baking soda and seltzer water paste, allow this to set up for a few hours and then rinse with hot water and a cool water rinse after that. Take some nice crisco and rub it in then wipe it down dry and voila, shiny clean cookware (not non stick, only ss or alum and even certain copper, works wonder on stoneware too).
Old 04-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The thing that I like about my SS cook ware is that after something like bacon or steak is fried, and the brown particles in the bottom of the pan help to make a good sauce or gravy.

Once the water or wine is added, those bits come right up, making the pan(s) easy to clean later.

Pacanis, if you still find that deglazing doesn't help clean the pan, just get some Dawn Power Dissolver, spray the bottom of the pan with it, wait 15 minutes and voila! That stuff will just lift up and float up off the surface once the water hits it!!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll look for that power dissolver when I go to the store today.
It's the cream sauce that's the worse. That stuff sticks like glue. Anything to "help" things along in the cleaning department is a good thing.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Get yourself some Barkeepers Friend. It is a powder that is great for cleaning SS. If that does not work (which is rare) then go for the Power Dissolver.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You'll find the power disolver in the same spot where the dishwashing liquid is sold.