Stainless Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Semon

Assistant Cook
I have some nice stainless pans and I seasoned one and it fried eggs great.
The bottom got a little discolored and the sides were stained from oil.
If I cleaned it and got the stains out of it I would have to preseason it.
[FONT=&quot]The stains drive my wife crazy cause they don’t look like new.
What does your SS pans look like a year after use?[/FONT]

i've never seasoned a SS pan. I keep them clean and looking like new.

I cook eggs in a non-stick skillet.

Another thought. I have fried over easy eggs successfully in a SS skillet. The pan has to be completely clean and the pan and the fat you cook with both have to up to cooking temperature before you add the eggs (or other foods).

I've also never seasoned stainless steel. Are your sure it isn't carbon steel that you have. That has to be seasoned. I'm not sure you even CAN season stainless steel pans.

CD

I have some nice stainless pans and I seasoned one and it fried eggs great.
The bottom got a little discolored and the sides were stained from oil.
If I cleaned it and got the stains out of it I would have to preseason it.
[FONT=&quot]The stains drive my wife crazy cause they don’t look like new.
What does your SS pans look like a year after use?[/FONT]

I've had my stainless pans (Le Creuset) for about two years now. I don't season them, either. Considering how much I use - and occasionally abuse - them, they still look great. There's just some very faint discoloration on the undersides, but nothing out of the ordinary.

aTr10lP.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Beef loin was the only cut of meat that was knighted (airgo) Sir Loin. LOL

You never have to season STAINLESS steel pans. Don't try it. Youll just burn oil onto them.

You do have to season CARBON steel pans.

And piling on... That polymerized oil will eventually make the pans actually stickier as dirt gets embedded in it.

So - here's my tip for cooking eggs in stainless steel... it works well and also can be used on aluminum...

Heat the pan to cook temp for eggs (medium-ish) then drop a small pat of butter in the pan and melt. Use a paper towel and rub butter into pan. This fills little pores in the metal and reduces sticking. Add a little more fat to cook eggs. Cook eggs. It's not as slick as a silicon pan, but you can cook eggs and omelets and get them released well.

I also believe SS pans don't require seasoning.

But what's puzzling is there are dozens of YouTube videos on seasoning SS pans. I wonder how effective they are. I tried it once on my backpacking SS skillet and it turned into a sticky mess.

As long as I can run over to Walmart and pick up a cheap nonstick pan for eggs, I don't see any possible reason for cooking them in my SS pans.

I rarely have any problems with food sticking in my SS pans since I learned not to cook on high heat with them. That is not totally true either... just don't start meats at more than medium heat. Once they have a bit of a crust then the heat can be cranked up if desired.

As long as I can run over to Walmart and pick up a cheap nonstick pan for eggs, I don't see any possible reason for cooking them in my SS pans.

+1. This wasn't exactly cheap, but I bought a Farberware non-stick pan at Walmart for $25 at least 15 years ago. I only use it for eggs and the occasional crepes. It works perfectly, cleans up easily and I've had no issues with it at all.

Costco usually has a set of two or three non-stick coated skillets (some combination of 8", 10", 12") for less than $30. They last 6-8 years and then I buy another set.

But what's puzzling is there are dozens of YouTube videos on seasoning SS pans. I wonder how effective they are. I tried it once on my backpacking SS skillet and it turned into a sticky mess.

There are millions of You Tube videos touting all kinds of preposterous things.

Back
Top Bottom