"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Master Chef

Stainless steel bowls

I have a set of SS bowls and wondered if I cook bake in them, for instance, to make round bread. The bowls are usually used for mixing batters and the like, they are not really heavy duty.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

I would check the manufacturer to be sure, but I think you probably wouldn't want to if they are not heavy duty. They might warp or worse.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If they are at least the same gauge as metal cake pans, muffin pans, etc., you should have no problem. They should be completely stainless. That is, no "grip" material on the bottom or such.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
If they are at least the same gauge as metal cake pans, muffin pans, etc., you should have no problem. They should be completely stainless. That is, no "grip" material on the bottom or such.
I think they are the same gauge, and it has no grip material on the bottom so it should work out. thanks for your reply.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I would be more inclined to bake bread in a dutch oven or clay casserole than a stainless bowl, personally. Stainless is not known for baking evenly. Do you have convection? It would be a good experiment. Would you report back and let us know how it goes?

p.s. If you're interested, there was a recent article in CI (check cooksillustrated.com) with bread prepared in a dutch oven.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
I would be more inclined to bake bread in a dutch oven or clay casserole than a stainless bowl, personally. Stainless is not known for baking evenly. Do you have convection? It would be a good experiment. Would you report back and let us know how it goes?

p.s. If you're interested, there was a recent article in CI (check cooksillustrated.com) with bread prepared in a dutch oven.
I don't have convection nor dutch oven. If I do decide to try a bowl for baking I will report back here. I get Cook's Illustrated too.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
LadyCook61,
I am no baking expert, but my first thought would be these bowls will result on uneven bake... too much baking on the outside and too little on the middle, the area where there is more dough (your piece won't rise so much in the center and will probably be undercook). If I were you, I would give it a try using mild temperature with a bain marie to reduce the amount of direct heat your bread/cake/etc. will get.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
LadyCook61,
I am no baking expert, but my first thought would be these bowls will result on uneven bake... too much baking on the outside and too little on the middle, the area where there is more dough (your piece won't rise so much in the center and will probably be undercook). If I were you, I would give it a try using mild temperature with a bain marie to reduce the amount of direct heat your bread/cake/etc. will get.
I decided not to bake the bread in the bowl, ended up making flat bread and pizza instead.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I would check the manufacturer to be sure, but I think you probably wouldn't want to if they are not heavy duty. They might warp or worse.
I chickened out, and didn't use the bowl. I will wait til I get a dutch oven, meanwhile I baked flatbread and pizza.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
Executive Chef

stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat so I would not bake in them. The results would be very uneven.