"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I've read, but have not tried, that adding 1/4 tsp of baking soda to 2 cups of rhubarb permits a 1/3 reduction of the sugar needed to stew rhubarb.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
...Natural versus man made, you choose. Ergo, it would take a lot of rhubarb to use in Barkeepers Friend. Just a thought!
What's your point?

That we use rhubarb to clean our pots and pans because the oxalic acid is natural?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What's your point?

That we use rhubarb to clean our pots and pans because the oxalic acid is natural?
My point is Andy. Why buy pots and pans that require a toxic cleaner to maintain the sheen. Whether you use rhubarb or not is not my mission. I was only curious why so many people are sold on stainless steel cookware.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
My point is Andy. Why buy pots and pans that require a toxic cleaner to maintain the sheen. Whether you use rhubarb or not is not my mission. I was only curious why so many people are sold on stainless steel cookware.
We all use "toxic" materials every day. The chemicals you find in soaps, shampoos, household cleaners and all not intended for ingestion. Oxalic acid is just one.

SS, in tri-ply form with aluminum, is the best material for all-around cooking. It's non-reactive, durable, chemically and physically stable, dishwasher safe and looks good to boot.

Just about any cookware will stain according to what you are cooking.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Because of:

Its superior performance

Its accessable price

Its durability

It 's safe and nonreactive

Its ease of cleanup

It's widely sold

It looks good

I think i'ts bordering on the ridiculous to keep harping on the "toxicity" of Barkeeper's Friend and the huge task of cleaning SS pots and pans. Its a great product for the times you really need it. Most ofthe time your dishwasher or your hands and a scrubber are all you need.

Its not like you ingest it.

And its not like 1000 other products in your home aren't equally or more "toxic."

Oxalic acid is naturally occuring (as you have pointed out) and people ingest it all the time in the foods we eat.

For whatever reason you don't like stainless steel cookware. Fine. Don't buy it. But the truth is that it is a hugely popular workhorse of probably the majority of professional and home kitchens and has been for generations.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I don't know about anyone else, but I rinse my pans quite well after using BKF. This all sounds like the making of a problem where there is none.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I rinse my pans quite well after using BKF. This all sounds like the making of a problem where there is none.
Enough on the stainless steel cleaner ingredient. I choose to keep as much toxic ingredients out of the food I prepare, as is possible. Whatever type of pans you use, is fine by me. It's a freedom of choice what you use to cook with, and what you use to clean the cookware. I have never used BFK ever but I will try it on rust staining coming from the well water.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Enough on the stainless steel cleaner ingredient. I choose to keep as much toxic ingredients out of the food I prepare, as is possible. Whatever type of pans you use, is fine by me. It's a freedom of choice what you use to cook with, and what you use to clean the cookware. I have never used BFK ever but I will try it on rust staining coming from the well water.
Sorry, but I'm just not getting the point. I don't have a clue as to what cleaning a pan with BKF has to do with eating toxic ingredients.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm just not getting the point. I don't have a clue as to what cleaning a pan with BKF has to do with eating toxic ingredients.
There is always residual effects from all cleaners even after rinsing them. Rinsing under running water or a sink full of rinse water is not enough, sometimes. I just do not have the time for fussy pots and pans that can't be cleaned with regular hot water from a tap, without cleaners, and some personal effort on my part. Where does the left over cleaner end up if you do not rinse well.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Me neither. You're not eating the stuff.

Tags
clean, stainless steel