"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

It's just a little of the residue from the food you cooked. I get the same when I sear a piece of meat.

Use a little BKF and scrub it off.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:39 AM   #12
Master Chef

Humm ... you cooked in your pan and it got dirty ... so wash it! Yes, it is normal for a pan to get dirty and need washing when you cook in it!

I don't mean to sound rude or crass - but hey .... as Andy said - a ScorchBrite pad and a little Bar Keepers Friend and it will be as good as new (aka: washed and clean).

Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
These marks in your pan are normal for stainless steel. I have some stainless steel pans I use and I wash then as I would my other pans (except iron) and try not to worry to much about marks such as you have. If you scrubbed the pan and you still see them I figure its a stain and not really "dirty" per say.

The first time I noticed bad stains in my stainless steel was in my pasta pot. Remember to never add salt to your pasta water until after it boils. Salt takes its toll from a stainless pan but it is all cosmetic. I recently acquired a set of Allclad stainless that I like a lot and have used Calfalon (sp?), which I love, but it is fairly expensive to purchase (my birthday is in May ;-)).

I wouldn't sweat the stains to much but keep in mind salt and stainless do not always play well together.

Good luck and keep the faith,
Bryan
Old 07-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanx again! Now I can rest my mind! This is what happens when you are new to things! Just wanted to clear it up. Just asking a lot of questions since these things cost me quite a bit of money that I will be paying for the next 2yrs!