Stainless Steel Electric Griddle - Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefGeoff

Assistant Cook
I make a lot of pancakes, french toast, griddled sandwiches, etc on the weekends for my family and friends. I find that I get the best results when I use a stainless steel pan because the fat (butter or oil) disperses in such a thin layer and creates very even griddled browning. I find a do not get those results with nonstick because the oil beads up, and find 2 burner cast iron griddles difficult to control heat, and frankly, don't produce the results i'm looking for. At this time, I use a 13" stainless saute pan for griddling on only one burner. It takes forever to get out a batch of pancakes, but they are perfect.

Every griddle I find on the market seems to be nonstick. I'm particularly looking for a high quality electric stainless steel griddle. The one all-clad makes looks awesome, but it's nonstick. I can't figure out why they did that. It's like it's taboo to encourage people to use fat to cook anymore.

Basically, I'm looking for a flat top like you would find in a restaurant, but for home use. Let me know if anyone knows of such an item. If I can't find one, I may have to resort to 2 12" all clad stainless fry pans - which I would prefer not to do because it's a little more difficult to handle.

Geoff

The flat top in a restaurant is not stainless but high carbon steel.

I don't think you'll find a SS griddle. I use a non-stick. For pancakes, I melt some butter on the surface then use a paper towel to rub it all over the surface. You really don't want a puddle of butter for pancakes, just a light coating.

You could try this with a non-stick skillet before investing in an electric non-stick griddle.

The flat top in a restaurant is not stainless but high carbon steel.

I don't think you'll find a SS griddle. I use a non-stick. For pancakes, I melt some butter on the surface then use a paper towel to rub it all over the surface. You really don't want a puddle of butter for pancakes, just a light coating.

You could try this with a non-stick skillet before investing in an electric non-stick griddle.

I like crispy edges on my pancakes and french toast. Wiping with a paper towel doesn't acheive the results I'm looking for.

Didn't know about the high carbon thing, though. Thanks!

I use the Andy method myself. If you can see the oil, you have too much oil. Every year I volunteer to cook at the local pancake charity breakfast. Every year I come home wishing I could quit my job and become a frycook. I loves me a carbon steel grill!!!

I use the Andy method myself. If you can see the oil, you have too much oil. Every year I volunteer to cook at the local pancake charity breakfast. Every year I come home wishing I could quit my job and become a frycook. I loves me a carbon steel grill!!!

I use about 1 tbsp butter per 3 pancakes, and I don't apologize for it :) My fat usage is well under control.

I use about 1 tbsp butter per 3 pancakes, and I don't apologize for it :) My fat usage is well under control.

No critique of amounts. Its just my method. I think if you can see the fat then you are frying the pancake. We all have our quirks. My favorite quirk is my use of duck fat in place of butter to make mashed potatoes. MY fat usage is out of control. ;):cool:

Amen.

ChefGeoff said:

I think you have a winner. Who cares if you have to plug it in? It sets over two burners so heats evenly and you can clean it without worrying about getting the electric components wet. And the price is good!

Just in case anyone was wondering, the manufacturer is:

Rocky Mountain Cookware

I called and the lady was extremely nice, and talked me through it. They make commercial and residential models. The residential model is 12x20 and is 10 guage, while the commercial is 14x23 and is 7 guage (thicker). My cooktop allows me to use the larger, so I will likely opt for the heavier commercial model.

It is carbon steel, and it does need to be seasoned. It comes with instructions. She indicated they are the only ones in the states to make this item. Anything else comes from China. Frankly, this is the only one i found. They are a small company with 5 employees and are growing rapidly.

For $50, I'll give it a shot and will report back!

No critique of amounts. Its just my method. I think if you can see the fat then you are frying the pancake. We all have our quirks. My favorite quirk is my use of duck fat in place of butter to make mashed potatoes. MY fat usage is out of control. ;):cool:

Ha ha, no worries - and yes, they are technically fried. AND DELICIOUS :) LOL

interesting lurker shopping.

i've been thinking about getting a 2 burner stovetop griddle.

any recommendations, or tips, or warnings?

I have a Lodge cast iron griddle like that. It works great - just like my cast iron pans. On my gas stove, I heat it over medium until a few drops of water sizzles on it and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Btw, regarding the OP, when I need to make a lot of French toast, I bake 8-10 slices at a time at 500°F for about 15 minutes, turning once. It gets beautifully browned with crispy edges.

interesting lurker shopping.

i've been thinking about getting a 2 burner stovetop griddle.

any recommendations, or tips, or warnings?
Since I have so few kitchen toys :LOL::LOL:, one of the additions I made last year was a 2-burner stovetop CI griddle. One side is flat, the other is ridged. I love it. I also have a flat CI griddle and a LeCreuest griddle pan (with the ridges). I use all of them about the same amount and would be hard pressed to decide which to give up. I also have a heart friendly electric grill (I'd have to go downstairs to see what brand, but I think it is WestBend). You put water in the bottom and grill on top. It is a cross between and electric skillet and a grill. Also love that. It is a bit of a pain to clean (the grill) but I have put packets of soaked wood chips in the bottom and used it as a mini-smoker (topped with the lid to my oven roaster) outside on the deck.

I think my 2-burner is a KitchenAid...I'd have to drag it out to check. It is heavy. Even though pre-seasoned, I seasoned it. And I treat it like all my other CI pans. I have been very happy with it. My brother got one and kept harping about how great it was. When I saw one on sale, I bought it. I use it mostly for meat or veggies (grill side).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom