Stainless Steel Frying Pan - sticking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
Although I do most of my frying in a non-stick frying pan I have a large deep-sided stainless steel frying pan that I like to use when preparing larger quantities of food that need sauces adding. My problem is that whenever I try to fry cubes of chicken the chicken pieces always stick. I always try to heat the pan before adding the oil and make sure the oil is hot but it always sticks. Is it because the chicken has too much water content or something else.

There are three reasons it would be sticking. You mentioned one already which is to make sure the pan and oil are hot enough. The second would be to make sure you are using enough fat (oil in your case). The last reason is a little trickier and I bet it is the cause of your sticking.

When you use stainless steel the food will stick initially. The trick is to put the food in the pan and don't touch it for a short while. Put it in and let it cook. First it will stick, but after a short time it release. The trick is to not play with the food as soon as you put it in the pan, which is what most people want to do. Put the food in and then step back and be patient. After 30-60 seconds test one piece by trying to move it. If it still sticks then wait a little while more. If that does not work then it means either your pan is not hot enough and/or you are not using enough heat.

To add to GB's comments, which are right on, you must start with a very clean pan. I always clean my SS skillets with Barkeeper's Friend (a scouring powder) to ensure the cooking surface is clean for next time.

Also, if you want to brown meats in hot fat, you should ensure you are starting with dry meat surfaces. If the meat has been marinating or just moist, pat it dry before putting the meat in the pan. this is not a sticking issue, just a response to your moist meat comment.

Thanks to both of you for your very informative comments. I must confess to always wanting to move the chicken around immediately so that's something I can stop doing from now on and also I never dry the chicken so another great lesson learned. Thanks very much :)

Try basting your pan: Heat the pan when it is really clean and then as if you were greasing a baking tray take a clean (and heat proof) cloth, add a little oil onto the cloth and simply rub it all over the surface of the pan and then allow this to cool down.

Don't wash the pan afterwards.

Beleive it or not stainless steel is slightly porous - doing this will help you build up a patina which will stop your food from sticking as readily. Do this about once every 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Try basting your pan: Heat the pan when it is really clean and then as if you were greasing a baking tray take a clean (and heat proof) cloth, add a little oil onto the cloth and simply rub it all over the surface of the pan and then allow this to cool down.

Don't wash the pan afterwards.

Beleive it or not stainless steel is slightly porous - doing this will help you build up a patina which will stop your food from sticking as readily. Do this about once every 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Celia I'll give that a go and see if it makes things better. I used to do that with my carbon steel wok but didn't realise the same would apply.

Thanks Celia I'll give that a go and see if it makes things better. I used to do that with my carbon steel wok but didn't realise the same would apply.

In my opinion, it's not the same as for cast iron and carbon steel. SS does not benefit from this oil coating.

Refer back to the posts about the pan's having to be clean to prevent sticking.

I agree with Andy. Seasoning a stainless steel pan would not be a good idea. They are designed to be cleaned thoroughly with soap and water so that the cooking surface is very clean and free of everything.

You must clean stainless steel it is not ment to be seasoned. Now one of my favorites cast iron you can season. They are such a joy to cook with. On my current poll it looks like cast iron and stainless steal are neck and neck.

To GB or Andy, if the food to be fried is cold, would it cause sticking? I have that problem when frying eggs that come straight from the fridge, even on a very hot SS pan and oil. Thanks in advance!

To GB or Andy, if the food to be fried is cold, would it cause sticking? I have that problem when frying eggs that come straight from the fridge, even on a very hot SS pan and oil. Thanks in advance!

I don't think cold food should cause sticking. However, the 'unsticking' process could take longer. With quick cooking foods such as an egg, that may be too long.

We don't use nonstick cookware, so I did some research a while back on how to cook scrambled eggs without having them stick. The advice, which works pretty well for us, includes making sure the pan is nice and hot before adding the eggs, and warming the eggs in hot water for a few minutes while they are still in their shells. Turn the heat down to medium low once you add the eggs to the pan, and wait 30-60 seconds before trying to move or stir the eggs. I'd guess the same tricks would probably work for fried eggs. :)

is it also possible that it sticks if the meat has a lot of water content into it? i noticed wet meat that is freshly thawed are prone to sticking..especially fish

is it also possible that it sticks if the meat has a lot of water content into it? i noticed wet meat that is freshly thawed are prone to sticking..especially fish

If you dry the surface of the meat before you put it in the pan, that shouldn't make a difference.

Although I do most of my frying in a non-stick frying pan I have a large deep-sided stainless steel frying pan that I like to use when preparing larger quantities of food that need sauces adding. My problem is that whenever I try to fry cubes of chicken the chicken pieces always stick. I always try to heat the pan before adding the oil and make sure the oil is hot but it always sticks. Is it because the chicken has too much water content or something else.
One little known fact is that, though you probably know there are different gauges of stainless steel, there are also actually stainless steel materials that are of different quality. Higher quality stainless steel will have an impact on how food sticks, or whether or not it will burn. Certain brands are more inferior with respect to this than others. Are your cookware pieces solely stainless steel, or are they stainless steel clad with a copper bottom? That would definitely affect things as well. Clad will give you much better results in terms of sticking/even heating.

One little known fact is that, though you probably know there are different gauges of stainless steel, there are also actually stainless steel materials that are of different quality. Higher quality stainless steel will have an impact on how food sticks, or whether or not it will burn. Certain brands are more inferior with respect to this than others. Are your cookware pieces solely stainless steel, or are they stainless steel clad with a copper bottom? That would definitely affect things as well. Clad will give you much better results in terms of sticking/even heating.

They are solely stainless steel. I used to have some with copper bottoms when I was in the UK and they didn't give me as much trouble so yeah you're right.

There are so many things I want to buy at the moment for the kitchen but we're moving back to UK next year and wont be taking everything with us so at the moment I have to either make do without or by the cheaper version ready to throw out or pass on when we leave. I'm having better results now though after all the tips so thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom