Stainless steel stockpot for deep frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graffitici

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am on the market for a 4qt stockpot. I looked at some models, and I will most likely buy a Calphalon one from BBB. However I don't have too much space in my kitchen, and I want all my cookware to be multi-taskers. My question is, can I use the heavy stainless-steel stockpot for deep-frying (mainly for fish & chips)?

I have looked around, and it seems like electric fryers and dutch-ovens are mostly used for deep frying. Since this will be a $80 investment, I really want to make sure I buy the right tool.

Thanks,
bB

Yes, you can use a stovetop pot to deep fry in ... but I would probably opt for a 5-6 qt (preferably 8-qt) - the difference in the diameter of the 5-8qt is probably only going to be about 1/2 inch but the depth is different - but will be probably 2-inches greater than a 4-qt, which means you can use it for more things.

That's just my personal preference from my experiences .... I do also have a 4-qt and never use it for deep frying .... it's just too small (or, maybe I eat too much????).

Yes, you can use a stovetop pot to deep fry in ... but I would probably opt for a 5-6 qt (preferably 8-qt)

Actually I was mistaken: I actually am planning on buying an 8qt model. More precisely, I'll probably will go for the following pot:
(unfortunately I can't post the link, but if you search for calphalon multi pot set on Amazon.com, you'll see it for $60)

Although people have reported having problems with the lid, I don't think I'll be doing anything so intense to shatter it.

So it would be OK to deep fry in that pot then?
bB

I'm not sure how dense those Calphalon pots are, but the issue to beware of is temp drops. I think that a heavy Cast Iron dutch oven is the better option and here is why.

CI has a lot of mass and therefore holds a lot of heat. When you add the food to be fried the temp of the oil doesn't drop as much. All is right with the world.

SS on the other hand is lighter and doesn't hold heat as well. When you add the food to be fried there tends to be a larger temp drop. foods life falafel disintegrate and your girlfriend (or boyfriend) complains that you've ruined dinner and know she (he) wants Taco Bell.

Dutch Ovens are great multi-taskers. I've only had mine for about a month and it has made everything from Stir-Fry to Biscuits and Gravy, Chili and Beef Stew. I have yet to fry with it but I will once I get a Fry Thermometer.

Just try to find the densest heaviest pot you can; whether it is SS or CI

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom