"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Master Chef
The best qualities of carbon steal are that they are stick free, once seasoned, super durable (will be handed down to your kids, and possible, their kids), can cook any type of food, including acidic,, starchy, watery (woks are often used as steaming vessels), etc. Seasoning is easily done on the stove top, or in the oven, but will produce some smoke and so should be done with vents blowing and windows open. Once seasoned, there should be no more smoking. Carbon steel is great for searing meats, or for high-heat applications such as stir fry's, but can be used with low heat for simmering, stewing, poaching, etc. Carbon steel is very versatile, more so than stainless steel, IMHO. Except for Griswold Cast Iron, it's my favorite cooking implement.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef
We purchased 11 7/8", 12 5/8" and 14 1/8"x2 1/2" Matfer Bourgeat black steel pans at the beginning of September. They are far from lightweight, although lighter than most cast iron. On a stovetop, their long handles make them easier to handle than the typical cast iron pan. But I doubt the 14 1/8 incher will fit in our oven.
The larger two of the pans have come in handy in cutting down on the total frying time for larger batches of sliced eggplant.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Link to a post detailing DeBuyer Mineral (carbon) steel pans. I've been using them for daily for almost a year. Indestructible, great searing performance.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote