"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
...A "wok" is made of carbon/high-carbon steel and has a round (not flat) bottom. Yes, it has to be treated like it's cousin, cast iron, to season it. It's not that big of a problem ... and once properly seasoned it's a joy to use.

It's kind of like children ... they are a lot more fun once the potty training is over - but they are worth all the diaper changes it took to get them there.

MICHAEL IN FtW--- I am hesitant to question the advice of someone of your experience but I must. If you are going to use a wok for potty training, stainless steel is obviously the best choice.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks one and all. I appreciate your advice. The concensus is for a carbon steel wok despite the extra care/maintenance required. My only hesitation is that some of you chefs may have "sous chefs" for that extra care. In my kitchen I am the cook, chef, sous chef, dishwasher and diner.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef

carbon steel.

you can salt cure a wok
wipe it out , oil it, burn it in, and start cooking. clean with hot water and a brush , re oil and heat. wipe and store...this is easy, really.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
carbon steel.

you can salt cure a wok
wipe it out , oil it, burn it in, and start cooking. clean with hot water and a brush , re oil and heat. wipe and store...this is easy, really.
How/when is salt used in the process you describe?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Wash any oil or dirt out of your wok. dry thoroughly. Place over high heat and get very hot, add 1 cup kosher salt and slowly stir it around the wok for 20 min. (TIlt the wok to different angles so all sides get directly heated). When you are done, discard salt, wipe out wok with a dry towel (paper) heat and oil wok and stir fry some onions and ginger till crispy. (They release a chemical that removes the metalic odor/taste). Discard, wipe clean with fresh oil ...now you are ready...(info from the wok shop san francisco CA)