Stainless Steel vs. Carbon Steel wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeasor

Assistant Cook
Hey, all you stir-fryers out there. I would appreciate your thoughts/experience on the pros/con of cooking in a stainless steel wok vs. a carbon steel wok.

Carbon steel is the traditional wok material. It has to be seasoned and treated like cast iron and is the best material for a wok, IMO.

SS without an aluminum or copper sandwich does a poor job of distributing heat evenly, causing hot spots that can burn foods.

Carbon steel wok will give you the best service. It takes a bit of seasoning and care, but the result will be GREAT. Cheaper

Depends on what you're after.

Carbon steel is clearly the superior wok material, but it's such a pain in the rear end to take care of.

Stainless steel won't give you the depth of flavor and richness that carbon steel will, but it's a breeze to deal with.

I agree with everyone else. Although carbon steel is more at risk of rusting and involves higher maintenance, it provides much better heat distribution and is very durable.

I would suggest that if your looking to buy, make sure it's good quality steel and check for approval from associations like NSF. Most cookware is fine, but poor quality steel can release minerals like iron and nickel which can cause health effects over the long term.

I could spend all night talking about this - but I don't have the time. A "wok" is made of carbon/high-carbon steel and has a round (not flat) bottom. Yes, it has to be treated like it's cousin, cast iron, to season it. It's not that big of a problem ... and once properly seasoned it's a joy to use.

It's kind of like children ... they are a lot more fun once the potty training is over - but they are worth all the diaper changes it took to get them there.

never used anything other than carbon steel then again in the chinese and thai restaurants i've worked stainless steel gets laughed at lol

Own both, and it is the carbon steel I favor for the reasons stated.

I own a carbon steel wok, and as stated above, I think it's the best type.

However, thinking about it more, I wonder. If I have an All-Clad wok that is made of tri-ply just like my A-C skillets, it certainly should perform as well as my skillets, which are terrific. That being the case, it should be effective doing stir-frys as well.

As a matter of fact, I sometimes use the skillets as I use the wok, moving the skillet and the spatula in opposing motions to stir the skillet contents effectively.

In home use, on a residential stove, I don't see that there would be significant differences.

You should be able to prepare a wok dish in a SS wok that would be identical in taste and texture to the same dish prepared in a CS wok.

Michael in FtW said:
...A "wok" is made of carbon/high-carbon steel and has a round (not flat) bottom. Yes, it has to be treated like it's cousin, cast iron, to season it. It's not that big of a problem ... and once properly seasoned it's a joy to use.

It's kind of like children ... they are a lot more fun once the potty training is over - but they are worth all the diaper changes it took to get them there.

MICHAEL IN FtW--- I am hesitant to question the advice of someone of your experience but I must. If you are going to use a wok for potty training, stainless steel is obviously the best choice:ROFLMAO:.

Thanks one and all. I appreciate your advice. The concensus is for a carbon steel wok despite the extra care/maintenance required. My only hesitation is that some of you chefs may have "sous chefs" for that extra care.;) In my kitchen I am the cook, chef, sous chef, dishwasher and diner.:LOL:

carbon steel.

you can salt cure a wok
wipe it out , oil it, burn it in, and start cooking. clean with hot water and a brush , re oil and heat. wipe and store...this is easy, really.

Robo410 said:
carbon steel.

you can salt cure a wok
wipe it out , oil it, burn it in, and start cooking. clean with hot water and a brush , re oil and heat. wipe and store...this is easy, really.

How/when is salt used in the process you describe?

Wash any oil or dirt out of your wok. dry thoroughly. Place over high heat and get very hot, add 1 cup kosher salt and slowly stir it around the wok for 20 min. (TIlt the wok to different angles so all sides get directly heated). When you are done, discard salt, wipe out wok with a dry towel (paper) heat and oil wok and stir fry some onions and ginger till crispy. (They release a chemical that removes the metalic odor/taste). Discard, wipe clean with fresh oil ...now you are ready...(info from the wok shop san francisco CA)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom