Stainless Steel Wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brucethekiwi

Assistant Cook
Hi all.

Have just bought a new stainless steel wok but now searching for care & precooking on the web maybe I should have bought a cast one. Any suggestions/comments?

Cheers Bruce

SS Wok

Ok thanks,

Have just bought an old 5 piece cast iron skillet set as well, which I have cleaned up & seasoned today, so between the 2 & some oven dishes I've also just bought, I should be alright.

Thanks for you advise,
Bruce

Have just bought a new stainless steel wok but now searching for care & precooking on the web maybe I should have bought a cast one. Any suggestions/comments?

May depend on size and technique. When I stirfry, I like to pick up the pan and flip the food around. If you do this too, then you may find the weight of a large cast iron wok a bit much.

It may give the food a different taste

The hammered iron adds to the flavor of the food as you continually use it.

A well used, Dark colored one has been my favorite.

The hand hammered ones -thicker on the bottom - thinner on the sides just seem to work better.

With a new wok I always necklace it in oil (spread oil over entire cooking surface) and heat it to medium for 10 minutes. After that wipe clean and it shoud be good to go. After I finish cooking I wash with water and repeat the necklace.

You'll have a lot of fun wok cooking. I've seen Ming Tsai use a SS wok on his show more than once.

Make sure ALL your preparation is done before you heat up the wok. Cut, slice, dice, chop everything and lay it out in the order you will be adding it to the wok. Once you start cooking, things go fast because you cook over very high heat for short periods of time.

If you're cooking on a standard home stove, it's best to cook things in batches then combine everything back into the wok to sauce it.

Back
Top Bottom