"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've gotten some really stained old pans clean by boiling a mix of vinegar and baking soda in them.
I tried as you suggested, and this made the pan a bit less brown. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I I don't think your pan is defective or unsafe to use.
That's good to know.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I searched for this thread because my stainless steel pans have baked on grease on the outside and I've tried many things to no avail. The insides clean up nicely. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar. I've seen BKF but never tried it. Might look for that. Recently I've heard that ketchup is supposed to work. I like it on my fries, but never tried it on my pots and pans. I even tried those disks they sell that you dissolve in boiling water and soak the pans in it overnight, as seen on TV. We put it in the laundry tubs. It did nothing. The pans are old but I like them. Most are pretty good, a couple are cheapies.

The only thing that worked is DH used his polisher/grinder on one and the burned grease came off but it left swirl marks that I didn't like.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I searched for this thread because my stainless steel pans have baked on grease on the outside and I've tried many things to no avail. The insides clean up nicely. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar. I've seen BKF but never tried it. Might look for that. Recently I've heard that ketchup is supposed to work. I like it on my fries, but never tried it on my pots and pans. I even tried those disks they sell that you dissolve in boiling water and soak the pans in it overnight, as seen on TV. We put it in the laundry tubs. It did nothing. The pans are old but I like them. Most are pretty good, a couple are cheapies.

The only thing that worked is DH used his polisher/grinder on one and the burned grease came off but it left swirl marks that I didn't like.
I guess I'm not neat enough, but those stains on the outside don't bother me that much. I've even seen TV cooks with pans and sheet pans like that, so I figured that if it's good enough for them then I'm not going too far out of my way to keep them spotless. I do wash them inside and out, but the stains on the outside just seem to get burned on and become an integral part of the cookware.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Buy som Dawn Power Dissolver Dawn Power Dissolver ? Foam Spray For Cleaning Tough Greasy Foods
and follow the directions.

For any remaining residue, BKF, a scrubbie sponge and elbow grease.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

Since the "ammonia/plastic bag" method works so well for so many really tough jobs, I would think it would also work for the outside of your SS pans.

Just put all your pans in a big plastic lawn bag, pour in the ammonia and seal the bag. Leave it outside overnight. That should work.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Love BKF.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #17
Head Chef

CLR will break down built up calcium deposits on a stainless steel pan if you live in an area with hard water. My hard water puts a white haze on my stainless steel cookware. CLR takes it off nicely. Calcium buildup plus cooking residue could be causing those stains. I noticed a white-ish area on your pan in the picture. That's what hardwater buildup looks like on my stainless steel cookware.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook

What's done is done. Too high a heat when you first used the pan.
The stain/s will never come off. Ever. A metallurgic reaction to heat has taken place causing the SS to discolor.
Ignore the stains and concentrate on what's cooking rather than what the pan looks like.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
What's done is done. Too high a heat when you first used the pan.
The stain/s will never come off. Ever. A metallurgic reaction to heat has taken place causing the SS to discolor.
Ignore the stains and concentrate on what's cooking rather than what the pan looks like.
To me it doesn't look like all of that is the kind of stain that will never come off, though some of it might be that kind of discolouration. That's usually black or blue or sort of iridescent. The brown stuff should come off with BKF or something similar. The black might too.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
To me it doesn't look like all of that is the kind of stain that will never come off, though some of it might be that kind of discolouration. That's usually black or blue or sort of iridescent. The brown stuff should come off with BKF or something similar. The black might too.

I agree. Do the work and you'll have a pan that's as clean as new.