"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Town or City
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've gotten some really stained old pans clean by boiling a mix of vinegar and baking soda in them.
I tried as you suggested, and this made the pan a bit less brown. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I I don't think your pan is defective or unsafe to use.
That's good to know.

Thanks everyone for your input!
__________________

__________________
bastiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I searched for this thread because my stainless steel pans have baked on grease on the outside and I've tried many things to no avail. The insides clean up nicely. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar. I've seen BKF but never tried it. Might look for that. Recently I've heard that ketchup is supposed to work. I like it on my fries, but never tried it on my pots and pans. I even tried those disks they sell that you dissolve in boiling water and soak the pans in it overnight, as seen on TV. We put it in the laundry tubs. It did nothing. The pans are old but I like them. Most are pretty good, a couple are cheapies.

The only thing that worked is DH used his polisher/grinder on one and the burned grease came off but it left swirl marks that I didn't like.
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I searched for this thread because my stainless steel pans have baked on grease on the outside and I've tried many things to no avail. The insides clean up nicely. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar. I've seen BKF but never tried it. Might look for that. Recently I've heard that ketchup is supposed to work. I like it on my fries, but never tried it on my pots and pans. I even tried those disks they sell that you dissolve in boiling water and soak the pans in it overnight, as seen on TV. We put it in the laundry tubs. It did nothing. The pans are old but I like them. Most are pretty good, a couple are cheapies.

The only thing that worked is DH used his polisher/grinder on one and the burned grease came off but it left swirl marks that I didn't like.
I guess I'm not neat enough, but those stains on the outside don't bother me that much. I've even seen TV cooks with pans and sheet pans like that, so I figured that if it's good enough for them then I'm not going too far out of my way to keep them spotless. I do wash them inside and out, but the stains on the outside just seem to get burned on and become an integral part of the cookware.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,378
Buy som Dawn Power Dissolver Dawn Power Dissolver ? Foam Spray For Cleaning Tough Greasy Foods
and follow the directions.

For any remaining residue, BKF, a scrubbie sponge and elbow grease.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Since the "ammonia/plastic bag" method works so well for so many really tough jobs, I would think it would also work for the outside of your SS pans.

Just put all your pans in a big plastic lawn bag, pour in the ammonia and seal the bag. Leave it outside overnight. That should work.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,316
Love BKF.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,705
CLR will break down built up calcium deposits on a stainless steel pan if you live in an area with hard water. My hard water puts a white haze on my stainless steel cookware. CLR takes it off nicely. Calcium buildup plus cooking residue could be causing those stains. I noticed a white-ish area on your pan in the picture. That's what hardwater buildup looks like on my stainless steel cookware.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook
 
puffin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duncan
Posts: 482
What's done is done. Too high a heat when you first used the pan.
The stain/s will never come off. Ever. A metallurgic reaction to heat has taken place causing the SS to discolor.
Ignore the stains and concentrate on what's cooking rather than what the pan looks like.
__________________
puffin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
What's done is done. Too high a heat when you first used the pan.
The stain/s will never come off. Ever. A metallurgic reaction to heat has taken place causing the SS to discolor.
Ignore the stains and concentrate on what's cooking rather than what the pan looks like.
To me it doesn't look like all of that is the kind of stain that will never come off, though some of it might be that kind of discolouration. That's usually black or blue or sort of iridescent. The brown stuff should come off with BKF or something similar. The black might too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
To me it doesn't look like all of that is the kind of stain that will never come off, though some of it might be that kind of discolouration. That's usually black or blue or sort of iridescent. The brown stuff should come off with BKF or something similar. The black might too.

I agree. Do the work and you'll have a pan that's as clean as new.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.