"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am with you RP. When I first get a new pan, I do my dangdest to keep the outside as clean as the inside. But now I really don't give a dang. I don't cook the food on the outside. I will scrub it with Brillo or some such means, but if I miss some of it. so what. My pans are in the drawer on the stove and nobody sees them except me. I am the only one who uses them.

I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had done more housework."
That should be your signature. It's one of those quotes that I see and say "Gee, I wish I'd thought of that!"

Old 05-23-2015, 01:31 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
That should be your signature. It's one of those quotes that I see and say "Gee, I wish I'd thought of that!"
It is kind of a take from "I wish I had spent more hours at the office working. So in honor of RP, I will make it so. But I do have to keep what I have there now also.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #33
Master Chef

I'm not a maniac about the outside of the pan, but I pretty much have kept on them since I got them. I'm not a thermodynamics expert (heck, I'm lucky I can spell it), but I think the efficiency of heat conductivity is higher if the clean surface of the pan is in contact with the heat source. Really dirty outside=more heat needed to cook. Our electric bills are high enough - and I'm not looking forward to what they'll be over the next week or so. They are predicting highs in the upper 80s/90 during the day, mid to low 60s at night. The trusty central air better get ready to go!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I have posted this before. But this is a good place to repeat it.

When you start to get buildup outside your cast iron, you can easily remove by placing it directly on the hot coals of your BBQ. The intense heat will soften the gunk buildup and it will be easier to remove with a sharp instrument like a chisel. Then let the pan cool down slowly to avoid damage.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #35
Sous Chef

I've always used a stainless steel cleaner/polisher such as Weiman. Spray it on, get a good non-scratch scrubber after ever time. Don't let the boilovers build up. When it builds up, it's a mess. I have an Aga gas stove; it heats up hot and quick.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Speaking of last words, as I was a pilot instructor:

"I told you that was not a runway."
Old 05-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

Did the stains come off? What did it? Was it Bar Keepers Friend? Ajax and CLR? 3M scrub cloth?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I guess I posted my question in the wrong thread, because it's not stains I'm worried about, but burned on grease on the outside of the pans. Doesn't hurt the cooking, but I would like the burned on grease to come off, at least most of it.

My bottle of Dawn Power Dissolver and can of BKF came today from Amazon, so I will be working on the pans in the next several days, and will report back.

One time DH and I were watching some type of cooking show and in the background you could see pots and pans hanging from the ceiling and they had black burned on grease on the outside. Maybe these burned pots and pans make me a "chef." LOL

Andy,
I checked online on Ace Hardware and also Home Depot and neither of these sites showed Dawn Power Dissolver available. I didn't actually look in the stores for it. I did see a lot of online comments from people complaining that they could no longer find this product in stores, and that could vary in different parts of the country. Since so many people were looking for it I figured it must be a good product.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Carol, I find a toothbrush is great for getting into the nooks and crannies around the handle attachment.

I just looked online to find DPD has been discontinued (DPD Facebook page) https://www.facebook.com/dawn/posts/10152300592836820

There's always Easy-Off!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #40
Executive Chef

It's still available on Amazon if anyone is interested. I did my favorite and worst burned pan, an 8 inch All-Clad and it is amazing! I wish I had taken a picture of it before I sprayed it for comparison. I let it sit for several hours as the grease was so bad. When I finally tested it, the bottom wiped clean with just a paper towel! Clean and shiny! I used some BKF and was able to get off a little more on the sides, but sprayed it again to finish it off. When I do the next one I will take a picture first.

I don't know if I'm going to order more or not, as I don't plan on letting these pans get like this again!