"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Staub 4.25qt Oval

Our local Sur La Table ran a manager's email special on Staub 4.25qt Oval dutch ovens for $100. That's $150 off list in case your keeping score. I managed to get a cobalt blue early yesterday morning.

Had to fight through a crowd of "ladies" who were trying to get to them the minute the store opened. I use the term lady loosely because lady like behavior was certainly out the window. What with all the pushing, grabbing, shoving, foot stomping, biting, well-I-nevers, clawing, general chaos, and language that would make a sailor blush all available pieces were snatched up within 15 minutes of unlocking the door. The only thing that saved me was holding the box above my head where they couldn't reach it and running for the cash register. I think Mrs 40 C was calling 911.

Came with a plain round handle too. I really like the rooster one though. Going to try it out later today...roast turkey breast...yum

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Nice find! You'll love it.

I'll bet all those 'ladies' are home complaining to their DHs about this really rude guy who "ripped the pan right out of her hands".

Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I was talking to a work acquaintance who did the whole "black thursday" nonsense at Walmart. She brought her tall, husky sons to hold the items in the air so that people couldn't grab them and run...

All this after standing for hours in line. I guess that she thought it was worth it, but I just can't see the sense.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This would make a great YouTube vid!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pretty pan. I guess I've never wanted anything so badly that I would behave in that manner. Those weren't ladies they were harpies.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I tried this out today. I braised a 7 pound fresh turkey breast. The cookware performed beautifully.

I had to do a little surgery on the rib cage with poultry shears to get it to fit down in the DO.

Onion, garlic, rosemary sprigs, and celery in the bottom to act as roasting rack. White wine to cover veggies. Cover and bake at 375 for 2 1/2 hours.

Pleased with the resulting tender, juicy, turkey. Practically fell off the bone.