Steamer suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chestertime

Assistant Cook
I never cook fish at home because I'm afraid I'll under cook it, and so I end up over cooking it and it tastes terrible. I read recently that steaming is a great way to cook fish and pretty fool-proof. So I'm looking to pick up a steamer. I figured I would just get a bamboo steamer, but the ones I see online say they are suited for use in a wok. Do I need a wok to use a steamer? Are there are types of steamers that would fit traditional pots or pans?

If the steamer fits on top of a traditional pot, it will work just fine. It shouldnt sit IN the liquid, however.

I am a HUGE fan of instant read thermometers. If you note the TEMPERATURE you are cooking at, and the TIME you cook... then with a thermometer, you can learn that at xxx degrees, you need yyy cooking time.

Chestertime,

Steaming is ok with certain fish, but not really good for many types (ones that come to mind swordfish, catfish, salmon). I know people may steam those, but since the meat of most fish are so delicate steaming can really affect the texture. Swordfish (and others) become overly tough. It also depends on the size and thickness. Try your steamer with smaller pieces of say a light white fish first. If you are going to subject fish to a moist heat cooking method I would lightly poach them in a flavorable court bouillon (broth made up of various herbs and vegetables), you can also add an acid to the bath like lemon/lime or vinegar. Only my suggestions...have fun!

Back
Top Bottom