"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Cook

Sticking In Stainless

Hey, I'm learning to use my All-Clad SS and have had some hits and misses. The shrimp scampi I made a couple of months ago in my 12" fry pan was probably the best I've ever had. I used the big tiger shrimp I think they're called, with sea salt, butter and garlic. I washed and dried the shrimp with paper towels, they didn't stick at all really and built up a good fond, I didn't use it to make a sauce because I didn't know what to do with it since I already had the butter and garlic for sauce. I tried to fry chicken a few weeks ago and it was a disaster it stuck to the pan... I ate some of it but it wasn't very good. I used medium heat on an electric stove, I perhaps should have used medium high heat because the chicken fried steak I made yesterday on medium high was great and didn't stick at all. I remember Martin Yan saying that cold food in a hot pan will stick so I usually leave the food out for a little while before cooking. Any advise on how to keep chicken from sticking?

Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Medium-high is best to fry things in - even higher but you really have to pay attention. What helps food NOT stick is heating the pan before adding the cold oil - hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick. I've never heard the one about the cold food but that certainly doesn't mean it's not true - I've just never heard it.

The fond you had in your pan could still have been incorporated with your dish, just deglaze it with a little white wine and then continue with your butter and garlic.

I don't have any stainless steel but would really like to start with a few pieces myself. So this thread will be a learning experience for me too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Along with what Kitchenelf said (great advice as usual) I have one thing to add. Once you put the chicken (or other meats) in the pan, do not play with it or touch it for a good couple of minutes. Initially the food will stick to the pan, but after a minute or two (as long as the heat is high enough per Elfs advice) the food will release. If you try to move it too soon then it will stick and rip and make a mess. Be patient. It is hard to not play with it when you put it in, but try it once and you will see that it really works.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Cook

Yea, that's the way I did the steak. I didn't move it for about 8 minutes, then turned it to finish. I expected it to stick a little after the chicken fiasco. I need to buy a thermometer on my next shopping trip.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Indeed. Use high heat, put in the oil, then place the food in the pan and reduce the heat a bit. Let it sit there for a few minutes before moving it. When you turn the food over, increase the heat first, then turn it and reduce the heat. Also, let it sit for several minutes before touching it again.

The heat adjustments work on a gas burner, probably not on electrics, unless they've gotten better in the last ten years.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

I use a lg SS pan to fry my chicken in and yes the key is to not touch it for awhile after you put it in the pan. Love the SS pans.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

truly we could cook on a rock if we had to! In fact I do, I have a soapstone pot. But I'm just puting my face in here to say I have my greatgrandma's Griswold cast iron fryer. Now if you don't have the world's most responsive range, consider cast iron for frying because the pan and the oil will stay hot once heated. Adding food naturally decreases temperature, but cast iron gives you really great heat retention. I love to cook with copper, but I always fry in cast iron for the HEAT!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Cook

I'm really just not a good cook. I love my AC. Can't beat cast iron for cornbread.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I recently copied a recipe from this site for cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Not having a cast iron skillet, I made it in my All-Clad Stainless. It came out great, give it a try.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Stevie, the greatest chefs in the world today began somewhere making something gawd awful and got better as they kept at it. SO keep cooking up a storm! And btw, AllClad is fine cookware.