Stock pot dilemma - All-Clad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Years ago I picked up many pots and pans at the all clad factories annual seconds sale. I got enough LTD to last a life time and have used it hard and years later, I still love it. BUT.......

All those years ago I wasn't cooking for larger groups of people or making stocks and so I got an 8 quart stock pan and figured it would be plenty big for anything I never needed. I was wrong. These days I often find that my 8 quart pot is just too small and filled almost to the top. I run the risk of stuff boiling over, don't have room to stir and slosh, etc. I need a 12 quart stick pot - plain and simple.

Here's the dilemma (and yes, I know it sounds lame....): They don't make them anymore.

My pots are stored where they can be seen and I want them all to match. Yes, I know this is vain, and yes it seems a little silly but I think these pots are beautiful and I enjoy looking at them - it's sort of a "Martha moment " I guess....

The Ltd pots are no longer in production. There are stainless versions in the 12 quart available but not in the LTD with that lovely anodized finish. I've been watching ebay now for months and still haven't seen a used one come up for sale but I see loads of 8 quart pots both new and used.

Should I cave and get stainless or wait? Do you have any awesome ideas about places to look for the anodized version?

I would be hitting garage sales, Goodwill, DAV, or any thrift store in the area. It's hard to believe that they don't sell them anymore. My new range has a really big burner made for a big stockpot. :wacko:

There are other avenues besides eBay some folks aren't aware of or have forgotten. One such source is Goodwill. They have an auction site. You might check there. You might also post an ISO listing on Craig's List in your area. If these don't "pan" out, pun intended, you may have to choose something else.

Our cookware is like a patchwork quilt. All sizes, shapes and manufacturers. They used to hang from big racks on the ceiling in my kitchen and I really quite enjoyed the look all the different patinas gave the kitchenscape. Now, because there's no reasonable way to have pot racks, they're all stored away in a huge closet Glenn built specifically for them. I kinda miss my cooking stalactites.

nothing wrong with wanting things to match...I'm headed toward having a whole house interior match:huh:

I'm still a big fan of eBay and just searched the completed listings and you are right, there were no 12 quart LTD's listed. When you are looking something specific like All Clad LTD 12 quart stock pot, you can have eBay notify you via email when one comes up for bid, no matter what category it may be placed in.

Buy the stainless one and hide it wrapped in a blanket where no one will ever find it. Bring it out to cook when you are alone. If anyone asks if you have a 12-quart pot, just say no.

Seriously though, I understand your desire to match. Sounds like you'll have to find another option. My pots and pans include All-Clad SS and other stuff too.

When I make stock I use a 20-quart stock pot made of paper thin SS. It's part of a 4 pot set I bought (20, 16, 12 and 8-quart pots with lids) for $20.00. If you're simmering liquids, All-Clad is overkill.

Buy the stainless one and hide it wrapped in a blanket where no one will ever find it. Bring it out to cook when you are alone. If anyone asks if you have a 12-quart pot, just say no.

Seriously though, I understand your desire to match. Sounds like you'll have to find another option. My pots and pans include All-Clad SS and other stuff too.

When I make stock I use a 20-quart stock pot made of paper thin SS. It's part of a 4 pot set I bought (20, 16, 12 and 8-quart pots with lids) for $20.00. If you're simmering liquids, All-Clad is overkill.

:ROFLMAO:

I have used my waterbath canner.....and it's in the basement rolled in a blanket.

Last edited:
The LTD is anodized aluminum, yes? Why not choose a 12-quart from another manufacturer? It won't be AC, but it will look very close. And remember, we're talking a big stockpot, where performance isn't as critical as a frypan, for instance. I think that most decent anodized aluminum will give you the performance you're used to.

I've got a 12qt AC "Multi-Pot" that I really like. It comes with two inserts, a full length pasta basket and a 1/4 length steamer insert.

Makes a great crawfish boiler because the baskets allow you to stain and reuse the crab boil for the next serving.

All-Clad Perforated Multipot with Steamer Basket, 12-Qt. | Williams-Sonoma

I know you didn't want stainless but this is a great value for $180

I've got a 12qt AC "Multi-Pot" that I really like. It comes with two inserts, a full length pasta basket and a 1/4 length steamer insert.

I know you didn't want stainless but this is a great value for $180

Yeah - I've looked at that and it's a good price, but my hearts just not in it. I really want to love it....

Just think, that large expanse of SS will reflect the rest of your collection, nicely!
LOL - my DH has offered to have one powder coated flat black. I think he's sick of me whinging about this. ;)

Back
Top Bottom