Stovetop Smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aruzinsky

Washing Up
I am thinking about getting one, but I have one question. Doesn't this stink up the house and set off fire alarms? I have no hood in my kitchen.

Stove top smoker....

this one reason that they invented a bbq....it is outside....this is the best time of year to out there with the changing leaves...you will have no problems with smoke detectors...Pst :D

I think outdoor cooking was invented before indoors was invented ... :LOL:

Trust me pst - if I had a place to cook outdoors I would. I've even been know to smoke briskett and turkeys when it was 18-degrees and 14-inches of snow on the ground when I lived in Colorado!

I live in a 2nd floor apartment (no balcony) and the fire dept. passed a new ordinance for apt. dwellers 4-5 years ago ... no outdoor grills within 10-ft of any overhanging structure or foliage - cooking or storage. That means the only place I can cook, or store a grill, outdoors is in the middle of the driveway or parking lot! Needless to say - I gave my smoker to my son who has a house.

I have to be stealth. If I want to grill - I have to do it on a Hibatchi in the fireplace. If I want to smoke something ... I have to use a stovetop smoker.

Thank you. I have a big back yard. What is the least inexpensive way for me to smoke meat there?

aruz, there was an Alton Brown show on smoking salmon (I think) in which he built a smoker using a cardbooard box, a hotplate, some wood chips, and a grill top. Can't get much cheaper than that.

follow up to smoking...

The absolute cheapest way to smoke...(sorry Mike this is outside again) is on your bbq....take some tin foil....add 2 parts soaked wood chips to one part dry wood chips...wrap pouch tightly and poke holes in the top and the bottom to allow smoke to escape. The dry chips act as the kindling to start the pouch. This pouch will smoke for aproximately an hour....so you just add more puches as needed. mmmmmmmmmmm...smoked meat!!!!! Pst :D

mudbug said:
aruz, there was an Alton Brown show on smoking salmon (I think) in which he built a smoker using a cardbooard box, a hotplate, some wood chips, and a grill top. Can't get much cheaper than that.

I have a hotplate!

Incidentally, I used to have a Polish friend who smoked homemade Polish sausage in some jerry-rigged way, but I don't remember the details. He used wood collected from a boat yard which didn't seem like a good idea to me because the wood could be chemically treated. When his father died of colon cancer, I suspected that this could be the cause. The sausage sure tasted good though.

Thanks Audeo. I suspect that all that smoke will eventually gum up the fan motor and the hotplate. I did a Google search and found a Brinkmann electric smoker for $65 which seems like a sensible price. I found one review where the guy gave it 4 stars. I think this will be my Xmas present to myself.

Michael in FtW said:
I think outdoor cooking was invented before indoors was invented ... :LOL:

Trust me pst - if I had a place to cook outdoors I would. I've even been know to smoke briskett and turkeys when it was 18-degrees and 14-inches of snow on the ground when I lived in Colorado!

I live in a 2nd floor apartment (no balcony) and the fire dept. passed a new ordinance for apt. dwellers 4-5 years ago ... no outdoor grills within 10-ft of any overhanging structure or foliage - cooking or storage. That means the only place I can cook, or store a grill, outdoors is in the middle of the driveway or parking lot! Needless to say - I gave my smoker to my son who has a house.

I have to be stealth. If I want to grill - I have to do it on a Hibatchi in the fireplace. If I want to smoke something ... I have to use a stovetop smoker.

howdy cowboy mike,
i used to have an apartment with a balcony that had the same fire laws, but i checked it out and there was nothing about electric grills, like that giant george forman thing. most town ordinances only preclude open fire and/or charcoal grills. they're not quite the same thing, but at least you get to cook outdoors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom