"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

Here's my latest report on this dandy little smoker. Chicken thighs tonight..our favorite choice of chicken parts..so much more flavor than breasts.
I seasoned the skin on thighs well with garlic powder, salt and pepper and placed them in the smoker with 2 tbs of the Bourbon soaked oak chips, and smoked them for 30 minutes on top of our gas grill. I opened up the smoker and I brushed them with barbecue sauce (Jack Daniels), removed the thighs from the smoker, and finished them on the open gas grill for another 15 minutes. They were just beautiful.
They were without a doubt, the most luscious, flavorful chicken thighs either of us have ever eaten.....no kidding.
I had a ball shopping for meat at the grocery today to use in this smoker.
More reports to follow.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds really good. Have you used it indoors at all or are you waiting for colder weather to move in from the gas grill?

Just remembered you live in a warm climate. never mind.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Master Chef

Andy you are right, we can cook outdoors all year here, and we have had just gorgeous Fall weather. We love sitting out there with a nice glass of wine.
However, I'd have no fear of smoke on top of the stove inside , as not a whiff of smoke can be detected with the lid closed on this little smoker. If I had smoked the chicken thighs in the kitchen on top of the stove, I would have brushed them with sauce and finished them under the broiler with equally perfect results. This thing is just a dandy!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I may just have to get me one of those.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
Master Chef

P.S.
If you get this smoker, do not opt for the smaller smoker like I did at first, and sent back.
Even for the two of us, is there anything more wonderful than an overload of perfectly cooked economical chicken thighs for lunches? Whoo Haaa.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
Master Chef

Interesting smoker. If I had no way to smoke outdoors I'd definitely get one of these.
It seems very efficient as the lid essentially 'seals' the smoke within the pan. Wisps of thin blue smoke indicates the wood is burning efficiently, even if they're almost invisible.
Nice cooker...

Speaking of stove top cookers, I'm looking for a good stove top fryer.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...Speaking of stove top cookers, I'm looking for a good stove top fryer.
An enameled cast iron Dutch Oven, in my opinion, makes the best stove top deep fryer! And at about $40 can be purchased at any box store (Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

Next report as promised..

Farmer style boneless ribs in the smoker tonight. I gave them a good rub yesterday with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. I wrapped them up tight for the refrigerator till tonight, and smoked them for an hour tonight with a combo of hickory and oak chips in the smoker, on the outdoor gas grill.
We brushed them with Jack Daniels sauce and finished them on the open grill.
Another home run!!
Home made coleslaw with my perfect (if I do say so myself) dressing, and garlic onion toast made the perfect meal.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

Youngest son was here for dinner last night. I did another tri tip in the smoker and he went ape over the flavor.
This morning I ordered one for each of the sons for Christmas gifts. I found them about 10 dollars cheaper at Amazon, with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Camerons Products Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker: Kitchen & Dining

Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
Cook

I absolutely love my stovetop smoker. I've done fish, quail, chicken, all kinds of stuff in it. It works fine on my glass-top electric stove, it fits over 2 burners. Glad to see you're enjoying yours, Kayelle. You can also get more of the wood chips (sawdust) from Amazon--it lasts forever. I also recommend the book, "Smokin' by Christopher Styler. The booklet that comes with the smoker leaves a lot to be desired.