Tagine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I've been thinking about making more Moroccan dishes using a Tagine. Anyone have preferences on manufacturer? Been looking at the 2 QT Le Creuset, which is on special from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is a reliable company, with a good return policy. As you know, Le Creuset knows what they're doing as well. Otherwise, I have no idea about tagines, or even how to spell it correctly!

Last edited:
I have that Le Creuset tagine, in lime. It's beautiful, but I'm not sure it's necessary. A tagine is just a braise and I'm not convinced that the shape contributes to the flavor. Two quarts is a bit small, too, imo.

I have a tagine and I love it! But mine is glazed terracotta clay. Before I bought it I did some reading and found Paula Wolfert, who apparently is the acclaimed expert on the topic of Moroccan cooking. (She has lots of credentials if it means anything to you).

She says that she used to tell people that a dutch oven served the same purpose as a tagine, but learned that the flavors develop more in the traditional vessel. She also said that cast iron is less than ideal. It has to do with the way the top stays cool and condenses the vapors, basting the food as it cooks. In an enameled dutch oven, the food braises or steams, which is different. The top of a earthenware tagine stays cool during the cooking process.

I have no experience with the LeCreuset, as I took her advice, even though the enameled ones were pretty. Mine is 2 quarts, which is ample if you're cooking for 2-4 people. It's not a braise, and you don't need all that liquid, so the pan is shallower than a dutch oven. The diameter is about the same as my 5 quart dutch oven.

I had tried several North African recipes, with varying success, but once I bought the tagine, my success rate soared. One of my favorites is short ribs with dates, prunes & olives. Another is chicken with apricots, dates, almonds & preserved lemons.

I have a tagine and I love it! But mine is glazed terracotta clay. Before I bought it I did some reading and found Paula Wolfert, who apparently is the acclaimed expert on the topic of Moroccan cooking. (She has lots of credentials if it means anything to you).

She says that she used to tell people that a dutch oven served the same purpose as a tagine, but learned that the flavors develop more in the traditional vessel. She also said that cast iron is less than ideal. It has to do with the way the top stays cool and condenses the vapors, basting the food as it cooks. In an enameled dutch oven, the food braises or steams, which is different. The top of a earthenware tagine stays cool during the cooking process.

Both of my enameled cast iron dutch ovens have ridges or bumps on the inside of the covers, which when cooking on the top of the stove serve to condense steam and allow it to drip as liquid back onto the food, serving the same basic purpose. When used in the oven I doubt that they serve that function as the cover will be as hot as the oven.

Thanks folks!:) I'll do some more looking and maybe stay away from the ECI.

Back
Top Bottom