Teflon Flu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To bad teflon goes straight through the body without being absorbed. Why do people believe everything that the news says? Teflon is not harmful if eaten. If it was it would have been taken off of the market buy now. Take it from someone who works with it everyday...

mommy, the issue with teflon cookware was that when it is overheated, it will give off a poisonous gas that will harm or kill, especially those with sensitive respiratory systems like birds.

i have eaten a good amount of teflon in one sitting, and i'm still here. an old girlfriend made whipped potatoes by using a metal mixer in a non-stick pot. i thought she had just put a lot of black pepper in the spuds, until i washed the dishes. afaik, i have suffered no ill effects. :eek:

buckytom said:
mommy, the issue with teflon cookware was that when it is overheated, it will give off a poisonous gas that will harm or kill, especially those with sensitive respiratory systems like birds...

The evidence available indicates that it is harmful ONLY to small birds.

ok, i'm not sure how many people keep emus or ostriches in or near their kitchen, but i would venture to say that the respiratory system of ALL birds would be in danger.

and there is evidence that it has induced "flu-like" symptoms in humans.

andy, how much stock in dupont do you own?

would you trust wikipedia? read the paragraph on safety: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

Last edited:
So you mean I either have to move my emu or get rid of my non-stick??? Thanks for ruining my day:-p

BT, I have about 3 quarts of strock in the freezer...

My emu had the flu a couple of months ago. It got whiplash from sneezing so hard.

relax, no one has to get rid of their large flightless birds...:)

just be careful when using non-stick. don't try to get it too hot. if you need to cook like that, get cast iron and season it well.

buckytom said:
i have eaten a good amount of teflon in one sitting, and i'm still here. an old girlfriend made whipped potatoes by using a metal mixer in a non-stick pot. i thought she had just put a lot of black pepper in the spuds, until i washed the dishes. afaik, i have suffered no ill effects. :eek:

Are you sure she wasn't trying to get rid of you the easy way?:glare:

mommy00 said:
To bad teflon goes straight through the body without being absorbed. Why do people believe everything that the news says? Teflon is not harmful if eaten. If it was it would have been taken off of the market buy now. Take it from someone who works with it everyday...

My opinion is that this is quite a naive statement, "it would have been taken off the market if it was harmful" You have much more faith in the EPA or govt. than I do. And people do not believe everything in the news, we cautiously read the news and make our own decisions.

When my husband was working a summer job in high school at the local Agricultural Experiment Station, a state and federally subsudized entity, he worked with BENZENE with his bare hands. He is still alive today, but that certainly does not mean that it is safe to handle Benzene. Benzene was recently in the news in China for being spilled into a river and closing down water plants down stream in China and Russia.

All humans are born with pre-cancerous cells in our bodies. Whether cancer eventually develops in any person, depends on how many insults we subject out body too. We would be wise to limit our exposure to chemicals or any substances we think could be harmful.

If you have gas logs or fireplace, the first day you used them the fumes were enormous. Have you ever seasoned a cast iron pan? ditto. Burned a pan of brownies? DOne a home fish or chicken fry with potatoes hushpuppiies, onion rings etc etc.same etc. All of these have the possibilty of creating fumes toxic to small birds and a few other pets.

Most of us have poor ventilation at best in our kitchens. That is the real problem.

comparing daily benzene exposure to a one time event of eating a tiny bit of teflon is a little odd.

my point was that ingesting a little won't harm you as it does pass thru your body. breathing it in as it breaks down from high heat is another story.

buckytom said:
comparing daily benzene exposure to a one time event of eating a tiny bit of teflon is a little odd.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that it is difficult for us to comprehend or anticipate the damage we do to our bodies with our various activities. I did not know that it was harmless to eat teflon. And who would have thought that pizza boxes and waxed food containers may be harmful?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom