The Care And Feeding Of Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it rusting? If so, heat it, scour it, and re-season it.

Is the seasoning flaking off? Again, heat, scour, and re-season.

I always wash my CI by hand, dry on the heat, then rub with some shortening while it's still hot.

I don't have an automatic dishwasher right now, but if I did, and someone put one of my CI pans through it, I'd go nuts. But then, if someone put ANY of my pans through a dishwasher, I'd go nuts, because I always wash all my pans by hand.

I can't see any flaking or anything. It looks perfectly fine. I don't see any rust or any sign that it is damaged. I have just heard horror stories and I wondered if I ought to do something proactive here.

Like I said, this baby must be nearly 75 years old. I am just guessing though.

I'd heat it and rub some oil into it, then wipe it dry again with a paper towel, but that's about the extent of what needs to be done, from your description.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have an old cast iron frying pan from my grandmother. When I got it, it has an accumulation on the bottom from many years on a wood stove, then kerosene stove, then finally an electric stove. I put it in the fireplace when we had a really good fire going and left it. Next morning I washed and reseasoned it, and I've been using it without a problem ever since. I always wash, rinse and dry it and heat it on a burner for a minute or so after using.

Goodweed of the North said:
I'd heat it and rub some oil into it, then wipe it dry again with a paper towel, but that's about the extent of what needs to be done, from your description.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thats exactly what I did. Thanks Goodweed for relieving my mind.

Licia, thanks so much. I think mine will be fine now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom