"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

The elusive Tangia clay cooking vessel

I've got many clay pots from all over the world and prefer the type that can be placed directly onto the coals of an open fire. The one the eludes me to this day is the Tangia, commonly used in Marrakesh by men only and is named the same as the dish that is made in them. Mostly used by single men who take their Tangia to the market in the morning and fill it with lamb chunks, garlic, cumin, aged butter, preserved lemons, saffron and a little water, then they drop it off at the local bath-house (hamman) where it is placed in the coals of the fire that is used to heat the bath-house. It cooks slowly for a minimum of 5 or 6 hours (or more) and is picked up by the man at the end of the day.

I was on a waiting list for 7 months and finally got an email a few weeks ago saying that it was now in stock. I placed the order and paid the same day, but so far I haven't heard anything from the vendor. Now I'm worried that they got my money and it may never arrive.

I've been trying to buy one of these for years without luck (yes, I've searched the internet profusely), so I'm looking on here for someone that might know where to get one (without going to Marrakesh). There's one on ebay but it is very small and the pics show several different pots so I'm not sure exactly what pot is for sale and I can't get a response from the seller to verify.

I'll post a pic if need be, but if you know where to get one, you already know what it looks like.

This is a Tangia or Tanjia, not a Tagine or Tajine, I have several of those already.

Sorry for the long read, any and all help finding one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
new old timer

new old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Here is the Tangia that eludes me, the one in the middle looks good to me, if you have one, please sell it to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tangia_stand_marrakech.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	32985  

Old 01-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

Lol, I have one here, wife uses it as a flower vase,lol.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Master Chef

I was just in Marrakesh and didn't see any evidence of this at all …..
Old 01-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

See what I mean!

The "elusive" Tangia!

And it's a local dish and vessel found almost exclusively in Marrakesh.

Some say that these Tangia's are cheap cookware over there, used by bachelors mostly but always men, but trying to buy an authentic Tangia vessel in the U.S. is like pulling horse teeth.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods once where AZ and a friend when through the market, bought meats, veggies and seasonings to fill and sealed the pot (like the ones pictured) and took it to a communal oven for baking.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Head Chef

I've had an earworm ever since reading this thread.

tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I was gifted one by a friend, who lives in Spain. She bought it in Morocco, and shipped it. Unglazed terra cotta. Had to season it before using, I used coconut oil in a hot oven. It works, but it's not an every day go-to.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods once where AZ and a friend when through the market, bought meats, veggies and seasonings to fill and sealed the pot (like the ones pictured) and took it to a communal oven for baking.
Andy, you're pretty sharp. I vaguely remembered that episode.
I remember it because I saw my old neighbors use a couple of them to cook lamb for a post Eid meal.

n.o.t., check this out: Moroccan tangia/Tanjia | Marrakesh Tangia/Tanjia | Fes Tangia/Tanjia

I've been on the lookout for a safe (lead free) tagine that's about 14" across or more, and deep. Since it'll only be an occasional thing, I want to be able to use it for a lot of guests (in the Muslim tradition), or to make enough for leftovers.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

https://youtu.be/csE7d_ALYKg

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking