"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
I do not think it was your seasoning. In the case of my Lodge preseasoned cast iron I found the Lodge seasoning to be suspect from the outset. reseasoned as described in my prior post. Contrary to conventional wisdom I find that cast iron distributes heat so well (evenly) that it can be seasoned on the stove top.
i had a really good look at the pan yestersday and it looked disgusting. it's even started to spread to the sidewalls so i can only assume that the seasoning is coming off cos it's a much lighter shade. but i don't understand why the pan still works. robo suggested i try cleaning it out with salt. i'll try that this weekend when i have some time but if it doesn't work

can seasoned my pan evenly on my stove as it's electric. sometimes i think the stove itself is the culprit. if you leave your gas stove on say #2 the pan is meant to remain at that level of heat but when i leave mine on two on the flat top, the longer it's on, the hotter the pan gets so something is not quite right. there might be more to iron pan not being compatible with flat tops than just the scratches it might cause. unless of course people come in and say they have no problem whatsoever with their cast iron on their flat tops.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef

If and when the pan gets too hot can you not temporarily move the pan to a cooler part of the stove? If it gets too hot on 2 how about reducing to 1 after getting up to heat on 2?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
If and when the pan gets too hot can you not temporarily move the pan to a cooler part of the stove? If it gets too hot on 2 how about reducing to 1 after getting up to heat on 2?

oh no i don't ever let the pan get too hot. what i meant was if i left the pan on 2 for say an hour on my electric stove it would definitely start burning whereas if i did that on the gas stove it would just remain on that temperature. i have only noticed that withe the cast iron. other pans do not get hotter just the cast iron. so it might be true that flat tops are not very compatible with cast iron or just have to use it with more care. i'e never overheated my pan and it's also seasoned with oil after i cook but with all this care i;m still getiing these patches. so i can only thinks its the factory seasoning not holding either beacuse it was not done properly of because it's incompatible with the stove. time will tell i suppose. but i really would hate to reseason my pan. it's such a bl**dy chore!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by g23
but i really would hate to reseason my pan. it's such a bl**dy chore!
It should not take more than some 3 or 4 hours and should be a once in a lifetime task that's well worth the effort.
G'day