T'is the Seasoning - Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
As I noticed one of my pans needed re-seasoning, I decided to do them all.
39817-albums888-picture5172.jpg

Wait! Guys, S&P isn't dead yet! There's still time to get mentioned in the will.

What did you do, S&P?

Last edited:
OK guy's, Just remember, it's hunting season here in MT. We have gun's and bow's plus the deadly 10" cast iron fry pan!!

salt and pepper said:
As I noticed one of my pans needed re-seasoning, I decided to do them all.

One of my pans need re-seasoning too. Do you want to come over and re-season all of mine too?

Seriously, how did you reseason your pans, S&P? What did you do? They look great!

Dawg,
I take care of them often, build up the seasoning, I try to season them 4 or 5 times, to build up a non-stick surface, a thicker surface! I do recommend using flax seed oil if you want to go through the proper way of building a good non stick surface. It takes time but worth it in the end. Very thin layers of oil add up to thick layer of a non-stick case iron pan. 4 or 5 times, but it's worth it!

Yes can you please take us through the reseasoning steps. I can get flax seed oil at trader joe's at a reasonable price. My dd trashed my large ci I use everyday. Since she is cooking while I am working nights. :( I have read I can strip it by putting through the oven self cleaning cycle. I need to know how to procede from there. THANK YOU in advance.

Turn oven to 350. At this point you can wash your pan with hot soapy water. Dry it good. I brush on the oil with a pastry brush and wipe off the pan with a paper towel. You want a very thin layer of oil. Oil inside and outside of pan. Place the pan upside down in the oven for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let the pan cool in the oven. Repeat (without the washing) 4 or 5 times,the oil will build up a nice thick coat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom