Took the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Yesterday, I went out and bought a Calphalon 5 qt enamelled Dutch Oven. I can't wait to actually cook something in it.

I may know what I want to cook in it, as well. I have some leftover brisket I smoked a couple days ago, and I might use that to make some chili.

Congrats!!! I like using mine that I just purchased recently, but it sure is a heavy thing!!! So far I have done swiss steak, roast, and a country version of round steak, it works wonderfully!!! Can't wait to hear about some of your DO creations?

They are pretty!! Be sure to hang onto the handles. I like loops for a better grip. I love all my enamel cast iron. YOu will too. It is especially great to get a good sear on meat--better than anything else, in my opinion.
Do some short ribs or lamb shanks or osso bucco for a real treat.

The enamel looks good and heavy but those handles!:ohmy: I'd surely drop it trying to hold onto those handles.

AllenOK,
OK, fess up! Where did you get it and what did it cost? I have decided my 12 qt cast iron Dutch Oven is too big for the no knead bread recipe.
And, as per your suggestion, my sourdough starter is now "Okie Dough Ki"

Just to give you an idea, Amazon has one for about $130.

Buck and I have two Le Creuset Dutch ovens - one 5-quart and another 9-quart, I think. Don't believe we paid that for either one. Had them so long, they're family and LOVE them. They never get put away.

There is no reason the 12Qt. is too big for the NYTimes recipe. In this case, size doesn't matter. It just needs to be hot enough. allow an extra 15 minutes to preheat.

Back
Top Bottom