Tortilla press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliette

Assistant Cook
HI, I really want to learn how to make good tortillas, and have been trying to do it without special equipment just using a rolling pin. But they dont come out very well, I think that maybe I need to buy a tortilla press and a iron skillet. I think they need to be thinner and the pan hotter.
Any tortilla experts out there?

Tortilla presses are not that great. On the other hand, a well seasoned large cast iron frying pan is essential.

I'm guessing you're making flour tortillas, right? Care to post your recipe?

Raw tortillas need to be very thin. And the pan should be relatively hot. I do mine on an electric range on medium high.

thanks Scott,

My recipe is pretty darn basic:
2c flour
1 tsp salt
1tsp b powder
1 tbsp shortening
1/2 c water
mix it all togehter, cut in shortening (butter or canola oil) til it looks like cornmeal. Divide into 12 balls, on lightly floured board, roll with rolling pin to 7" circles. Cook on ungreased heavey pan til light brown spots form, turn repeat.

Hmmmmm...

What kind of flour are you using?

cut in shortening (butter or canola oil)
Shortening is partially hydrogenated vegetable oil aka Crisco, not butter or canola oil. Which are you using? I don't think butter will work that well in a tortilla.

Besides that, ingredient wise, you seem to be alright. Your process intrigues me.

Do you add the water first and then cut in the shortening?
No kneading?
And the light brown spots that form are on the bottom, correct?
What kind of pan have you been using?

electric tortilla press

I saw a show on TV that used an electic one and it cooked them perfectly as it pressed them :) that is the way I am going to go . I had a manual one once . worked ok , but I
think I am going to love one that cooks them too!

I make flour tortilla's frequently. For about 2 cups

of flour I use more than 1 Tb. of shortening. I'm guessing about 3 Tbs., some salt and warm, almost hot water, to make a soft dough. Mix just till combined and break off pieces of dough and roll gently into balls, cover with towel and let rest for at least 15 and up to 30 minutes. VERY important to let them rest. This makes them easier to roll out. For flour tortillas I use a rolling pin and floured board not a press. I cook them in a heavy non stick pan over med high heat. I got this recipe from the Two Hot Tamales T.V. show. I use less shortening that they call for but the rest is the same.

Seems I read there are 2 types of tortillas too , One from corn flour and one from regular flour . the harder ones to roll out I have found are the corn tortillas. I think that an electric press might make overall job easier though.

One more thing, 1/2 cup of water doesn't sound like

nearly enough for 2 cups of flour. I make a very soft dough
and the tortillas are easy to roll and easy to cook.

Tortillas and masters

If you have any access to a local latino neighborhood or Craigslist in your area, I would saddle up next to a Senora and ask for assistance. Many Mexican, Honduran or Guatemalan would know and in my experience, they are ready and willing to share their cuisine/ culture with you.

I made corn tortillas a few nights ago for the first time. I pressed them between two cutting boards (the dough was also between layers of ziploc bag) and cooked them in a dry griddle pan (Calphalon nonstick). They were fantastic.

Warning: Eat these hot, or cut them up and deep fry them into tortilla chips. These were frighteningly bad the next day.

The recipe? 2 cups masa and 1.5 cups water.

Back
Top Bottom