"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

After about four years, my Cuisinarts shouldn't be pitting. Honestly, I'm not sure what line it is, but that's inexcusable. My cast iron pan has been around since the 70's, and my little All-Clads (8" pan and 1 qt pot) keep chugging on.

I'm looking for the Tramontina Triply, but have had no luck finding it locally. {{sigh}}.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrenie View Post
After about four years, my Cuisinarts shouldn't be pitting. Honestly, I'm not sure what line it is, but that's inexcusable. My cast iron pan has been around since the 70's, and my little All-Clads (8" pan and 1 qt pot) keep chugging on.

I'm looking for the Tramontina Triply, but have had no luck finding it locally. {{sigh}}.
Pitting stainless steel is sometimes caused by salt.
I would email Cuisinart and complain - they may replace the set.
I have been using Farberware SS with a disk of alum. for 10
years - no pitting.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #33
Senior Cook

i'm not so financially well-off, and even though i love to cook, i could NEVER justify spending so much $$$ on all-clad.

so, i've spent my time trying to find good, quality cookware, and i ended-up buying a combination of tramontina and a few french style skillets from the restaurant supply store-they're matfer fry pans.

a long time ago, i scored a nice tri-ply set from sam's club labeled as member's mark. i do believe they are made by tramontina, and they perform well. my parents "borrowed" that set and i haven't seen it since.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
i'm not so financially well-off, and even though i love to cook, i could NEVER justify spending so much $$$ on all-clad.

so, i've spent my time trying to find good, quality cookware, and i ended-up buying a combination of tramontina and a few french style skillets from the restaurant supply store-they're matfer fry pans.

a long time ago, i scored a nice tri-ply set from sam's club labeled as member's mark. i do believe they are made by tramontina, and they perform well. my parents "borrowed" that set and i haven't seen it since.
I'm feeling your pain, black chef. Only, it's usually the other way around, with kids stealing parents pans and never returning them.

I make a living of about 43K-bucks a year in a single-income family. I've never been rich. But that doesn't keep me from preparing good food. I listed my pots and pans in an ealier post in this thread and so am not going to bore everyone by listing them again. But I will quote a gentleman from another cooking site from several years back. His tag-line at the end of every post read something like, and I'm paraphrasing here, The pot isn't nearly as important as is what you put into the pot. I've found that to be a law, like Newton's laws of Motion.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Hi guys, this is my 1st post I'm glad I found this forum...
I love my Tramontina 6.5 Qt Dutch Oven and the 4 qt Tri-ply sauce pan I recently bought from Walmart.. I just got off the phone with a customer service rep at Tramontina USA.. She informed me that Walmart stores and website will soon (she said in June) be carrying a few more pieces of Tramontina Tri-ply open stock and also sets... Woohoo... I'm gonna get a 2 qt sauce pan as soon as they become available.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

I forgot to mention.. If you google Tramontina Tri-ply... If you see a site called 123west.com.. you might want to skip that one...they have a fairly nice selection of Tramontina Tri-ply but they are WAY too expensive.. I paid $49.97 for my 4 qt. saucepan with lid at Walmart...at 125west.com they want $123.95 for the same saucepan.. They must be nuts... The 8 piece set at Walmart costs $149.97..at 125west.com the same set costs $365.95
Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #37
Cook

I have two Tramontina pieces. One is a stockpot with an ingenius strainer that locks onto the top of the pot. I love it! This is probably my favorite pot. I like the fact that it's not a full on strainer that takes up space inside the pot. I also have a 12 inch skillet that I purchased from Wal-Mart. I love that pan!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #38
Senior Cook

my local walmart has two different sauce pans by tramontina, the 12 inch and the 10 inch. they're also running a sale on an entire tramontina set for $149. i have all the pieces except the stock pot; i'll wait to see if they start carrying it open stock.