Tried to kill my le crueset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southerncook

Senior Cook
and burn my house down. Was making dirty rice over the holdiays and turned the burner on under my 7quart oven to brown the meats and realized I had forgotton something at the store. so went to store. across town. Went by brothers house. visited. Drove home, walked in and there it is, dry as a bone with the burner flaming away. shut it off, and warned everyone not to touch it for a few hours!
cooked with it since and it's fine. can't imagine that happening with any other pot. I am soooo hooked!

On Christmas day I was reheating my Christmas pudding in my le Cruset. You put an upturned saucer on the bottom, but the pudding on top and three quarters fill with boiling water and let it steam a couple of hours.

You check the water periodically, don't you???? Oops,it went dry, I put in more boiling water, and smash, the saucer broke. All was ok, but when i got the pudding out, the cream enamel was black, i was certain it was history, but it cleaned up fine and all is well.

In college my roomate and her boy friend left a non-stick pan on the burner and ran off to class. I was sleeping in (cutting a class no doubt) and woke up when the cat, in no uncertain terms, screached in my ear to get me up.

He was locked in the room and he figured out before me that the house was filling with smoke and he would die if I didn't wake up.

The coating on the pan was smoking off the pan and the most awful acrid smoke was filling the house.

I grabed the pan with an oven mit and tossed it out in to the back yard where it sank in to the two feet of snow, steaming and gurgeling all the way.

In the dead of winter I had to open every window in the house and air it out. Ahh memories!

Nonstick pans left to burn on the stove, will kill a pet bird in no time flat. I'm sure it would have killed the cat, and maybe you too SpiceEmUp, if kitty hadn't been there to wake you. I had lots of literature from veterinarians on the dangers of the pans when I kept pet birds, and didn't own a nonstick pan until after the birds passed on of old age. I am still nervous about them today.

BC

the enamelling is fired at over 1000* F, so as long as you let cool before adding anything, yo uwere safe. But don't do that again, k? :)

Back
Top Bottom