Trying to find an 8" CI skillet with sloping sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenkan

Assistant Cook
I like two-egg omelets, and IMHO an 8" skillet is the perfect size for that. I had a very expensive Calphalon One skillet with the perfect size/shape, but _someone_ in my household (who shall remain nameless, honey) burned eggs in there until they caught fire, and the coating is ruined.

All this talk about CI has me thinking that I ought to try a CI skillet again.

Does anyone other than Lodge make skillets with sloping sides? Their Pro-Logic line:

lodgemfg.com/Logic-skillets.asp [third group on page]

looks like the right shape for a good flip, but their smallest model is 10". I emailed them about an 8", and they said they discontinued the 8" model 3 years ago, and have no plans to revive it.

I buy inexpensive nonstick coated aluminum skillets for eggs. You should be able to find 8" pans made of thick aluminum and nonstick coated for $5 - $10 in discount stores or places like Costco, Sam's and BJ's. They usually last me 5-10 years, then I toss them without guilt and buy another.

Yeah, I've tried the 3-for-$30 non-stick skillets from Costco, and the heat distribution just doesn't do it for me. So I went and bought the $90 skillet, and then it got ruined.

Some of the recent spooky talk about Teflon is worrying me as well, so I figured I'd try something that's tried-and-true, known-safe, inexpensive, and completely indestructible. Now I just need to find the right shape :)

There is no issue with teflon as long as you don't overheat it. If you do, it doesn't matter how much you paid for the pan.

I mentioned thick aluminum pans specifically because they provide excellent heat distribution.

You could try a search on google for 8" pans. Another alternative is to shop flea markets. There always seem to be CI pans at flea markets.

I just came up with this from My Favorites theKitchenStore.com Product Search

I was trying to find the link Uncle Bob gave me last year..... maybe it's on another computer, but I have a non-stick that I've cooked a LOT of eggs in with sloping sides that I like a lot. I know it's not CI, but it's a good little pan. I'll go check my other PC and post the link anyway just in case you are interested in giving it a try.
And, at the time I was looking, there wasn't an 8" to be had locally. Now I just noticed even the hardware store has them :rolleyes:

I like two-egg omelets, and IMHO an 8" skillet is the perfect size for that. I had a very expensive Calphalon One skillet with the perfect size/shape, but _someone_ in my household (who shall remain nameless, honey) burned eggs in there until they caught fire, and the coating is ruined.

You are right, I know what you mean, I've got one and it is perfect for 2 egg omletes. I have an old Wagner 8 inch skillet. It is one of my favorite CI pans. Try eBay for one. Keep looking til you find one, you won't regret it.

[whoops, i was replying to pacanis, but bethzaring types faster than I do]

Thanks, but I'm specifically looking for a cast-iron skillet without a non-stick coating. The Pro-Logic line by Lodge (linked above) seems to be exactly what I want, except that they no longer have an 8" model :(

As Andy M. notes above, any Teflon-coated pan I buy will eventually get destroyed by . . . someone else in my house. I really abhor waste, so even if it's cheaper to buy pans and throw them away, I'd much rather invest in one that will last a long time.

Last edited:
You are right, I know what you mean, I've got one and it is perfect for 2 egg omletes. I have an old Wagner 8 inch skillet. It is one of my favorite CI pans. Try eBay for one. Keep looking til you find one, you won't regret it.
Hmmm. Does yours have sloping sides? Or is it more of a traditional skillet with nearly-vertical sides? I'm a flipper :), and with the wrong shape to the pan, even _more_ of them will end up on the floor. Makes the cat happy, but not me so much. I'm thinking that shape will be even more important with the far heavier weight of the CI.

Googling for Wagner now . . . .

When you find a 7" or 8" Cast iron with sloping sides please buy two!!!!
One for me...One for you. I will pay all cost associated with the transaction!!
I think I may have found a bunch of these on ebay:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220007839853

He currently has 11 in stock, and the price is OK at $12.99, but $27 for shipping? That's absurd!

If you buy the 10" one directly from Lodge they charge you $5 for shipping.

Still, I can't seem to find it anywhere else. If he were charging anything more reasonable I'd have bought already instead of dithering here. Is it worth another few hours of searching to save $15 on freight?

p.s. to everyone here, please don't buy the last one!

This will make you happy!

Have Fun!

That's similar to the one I posted the link to, the one you recommended to me a while back. Except that one has rivets and comes from a different source (still a Lincoln though :)). I love mine, but Steven is set on CI.

OK. Why are not all the posts showing up until I reply :wacko:
Sorry, I was replying to the last post showing up on my PC, Bob's link post. This is the second time this happened today here...

Like this one?

img_699854_0_c46b68114c65499b8ed0e59ce76f56e6.jpg

I talked to the ebay seller, and he offered to reduce the shipping charge to ~$9.30, so I bought it! Total cost, $22.29, which is reasonable.

Now awaiting shipment . . . .

We'll see if I can flip properly in a CI skillet :)

I talked to the ebay seller, and he offered to reduce the shipping charge to ~$9.30, so I bought it! Total cost, $22.29, which is reasonable.

Now awaiting shipment . . . .

We'll see if I can flip properly in a CI skillet :)

I want a youtube video.
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom