"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-18-2004, 10:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Turkey Pan

Whoo hoo! I just bought a GORGEOUS turkey pan with rack tonight on sale at Macy's by KitchenAid ($60 pan on sale for $39.99 with a $10.00 rebate PLUS a free carving set that they ran out of, I got a raincheck). I never used a turkey pan, always disposable. Do you have a pan big enough for a 25lb turkey or do you use disposable.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I use my turkey roaster for my 23 pounder - it's got to be dangerous to use one of the disposable pans - last time I used one it twisted and we almost lost the turkey -

Waaay good deal deb!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

I've used teh disposables for years, but have a turkey rack that goes under the turkey. It has sift handles. I now have a giant-sized lasagna/roasting pan that I will be using this year, again with the rack, though it's not requrired for structural strength any more. It still makes moving the turkey from the pan to the butcher block much easier. And I like easy. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Head Chef

Geez, what a great deal, deb! Congrats there! I just use my calphalon roaster...I'd be afraid of disposables for the very reasons cited by Elf!

I'm with you, goodweed! Easy is good!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:01 AM   #5

Congratulations. Use and enjoy!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

same here, calphalon roaster.

did ya ever see the episode of "everybody loves raymond" when deborah is arguing with ray, and goes to put the turkey in the aluminum pan in the oven and drops it? then she picks up the bird off the floor, opens the oven, ad tosses it in sans pan, and slams the oven door. :D

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
never saw that bucky but it sounds like a hilarious episode
Old 11-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
same here, calphalon roaster.

did ya ever see the episode of "everybody loves raymond" when deborah is arguing with ray, and goes to put the turkey in the aluminum pan in the oven and drops it? then she picks up the bird off the floor, opens the oven, ad tosses it in sans pan, and slams the oven door. :D
Yep, I saw that one bucky. Hubby looked at me & said it looked like something I would do!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I use a stainless steel "hotel" pan. It's the kind used in those chafing dishes you see on buffet lines.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

I used to have an enamled roaster because that was what Mom and my grandmothers always used ... but XW got that in the divorce.

The aluminum pans are a little flimsey so I used to put a baking sheet under them for a little more support ... but I also made a butcher's twine sling/handle to lift the turkey out of the pan before I tried to move it.

Last year when I decided to upgrade to something better after 10+ years of the cheap aluminum foil pans - I got sticker shock over the nice roasting pans! $75 - $300 just wasn't in my budget. So, I did a little thinking and checking around (I talked to my sons who both used to be kitchen managers in a restaurant) and went the Psiguyy route.

I went to a restaurant supply and got 2 full-size (20"x12") stainless steel steam table trays (one 2.5" deep for $10 - one 4" deep for $13) and a grid/rack ($5). So, for $28 (plus tax) I have two multi-tasking pans and a multi-tasking rack .