Turkey Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
Whoo hoo! I just bought a GORGEOUS turkey pan with rack tonight on sale at Macy's by KitchenAid ($60 pan on sale for $39.99 with a $10.00 rebate PLUS a free carving set that they ran out of, I got a raincheck). I never used a turkey pan, always disposable. Do you have a pan big enough for a 25lb turkey or do you use disposable.

I use my turkey roaster for my 23 pounder - it's got to be dangerous to use one of the disposable pans - last time I used one it twisted and we almost lost the turkey - :shock:

Waaay good deal deb!!!!!!!

I've used teh disposables for years, but have a turkey rack that goes under the turkey. It has sift handles. I now have a giant-sized lasagna/roasting pan that I will be using this year, again with the rack, though it's not requrired for structural strength any more. It still makes moving the turkey from the pan to the butcher block much easier. And I like easy. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Geez, what a great deal, deb! Congrats there! I just use my calphalon roaster...I'd be afraid of disposables for the very reasons cited by Elf!

I'm with you, goodweed! Easy is good!!!

same here, calphalon roaster.

did ya ever see the episode of "everybody loves raymond" when deborah is arguing with ray, and goes to put the turkey in the aluminum pan in the oven and drops it? then she picks up the bird off the floor, opens the oven, ad tosses it in sans pan, and slams the oven door. :D

buckytom said:
same here, calphalon roaster.

did ya ever see the episode of "everybody loves raymond" when deborah is arguing with ray, and goes to put the turkey in the aluminum pan in the oven and drops it? then she picks up the bird off the floor, opens the oven, ad tosses it in sans pan, and slams the oven door. :D

Yep, I saw that one bucky. Hubby looked at me & said it looked like something I would do!

I use a stainless steel "hotel" pan. It's the kind used in those chafing dishes you see on buffet lines.

I used to have an enamled roaster because that was what Mom and my grandmothers always used ... but XW got that in the divorce.

The aluminum pans are a little flimsey so I used to put a baking sheet under them for a little more support ... but I also made a butcher's twine sling/handle to lift the turkey out of the pan before I tried to move it.

Last year when I decided to upgrade to something better after 10+ years of the cheap aluminum foil pans - I got sticker shock over the nice roasting pans! $75 - $300 just wasn't in my budget. So, I did a little thinking and checking around (I talked to my sons who both used to be kitchen managers in a restaurant) and went the Psiguyy route.

I went to a restaurant supply and got 2 full-size (20"x12") stainless steel steam table trays (one 2.5" deep for $10 - one 4" deep for $13) and a grid/rack ($5). So, for $28 (plus tax) I have two multi-tasking pans and a multi-tasking rack .

I have a calphalon that I got from William Sonoma several years ago.(it was also on sale) I tried the disposables one time, used 2 together for a little added strength. I don't recommend it. Also getting the carmelized bits off the bottom to make gravy was a hassle.

I bought a Circulon on sale a few years back and like it fine. The disposables are just too flimsy and dangerous in my opinion. Plus, the disposbles are a detiment when it comes to making gravy. I think that 25 pounder will be a close fit - you might want to put it in the pan before Thanksgiving to be sure it will fit. If my memory is correct, I planned to buy a KA, but the handles were mounted on the inside and resulted in too tight a fit.

Otter - good suggestion about looking at the way the handles are positioned. I have a Calphalon and mine are mounted Up - not out - I have double ovens but they are the smaller ones - it never would have fit if they were mounted out.

Back
Top Bottom