Ultimate French Carbon Steel Fry Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deBuyer excellent pan...really takes the heat and gets meat browned. must be seasoned, the more you use it the darker it gets...good ballance to handle, goes right in the oven...excellent and not pricey. If you deglaze with wine make sure the pan is well used/seasoned. Yes I have 3.

Robo410 said:
deBuyer excellent pan...really takes the heat and gets meat browned. must be seasoned, the more you use it the darker it gets...good ballance to handle, goes right in the oven...excellent and not pricey. If you deglaze with wine make sure the pan is well used/seasoned. Yes I have 3.

is that a good deal on the 3 piece set... 8", 10" & 12" for $99.99??

Robo410 said:
I've had two of those -- 8-inch -- for years. My mom gave them to me. Couldn't live without them

I have no idea what a good price for them is, tho, as I haven't seen them in stores for a long \time.

Robo410, can you give me some advice too? I suffer from arthritis. I read all the cast iron threads and posts, but without any hope of ever owning a piece simply because of the weight. Are these De Buyer pans heavy too?

Last edited:
Snoop Puss said:
Robo410, can you give me some advice too? I suffer from arthritis. I read all the cast iron threads and posts, but without any hope of ever owning a piece simply because of the weight. Are these De Buyer pans heavy too?

I don't know these pans but these are not the cast iron pans. These are like saute pans.

Gretchen said:
I don't know these pans but these are not the cast iron pans. These are like saute pans.

1st observation: these pans are HEAVY.
2nd observation: once hot, they get things cooked!!

as i use them, i notice they're getting a bit darker with every use.

These standard fry pans are mostly available in Seattle under the VOLLRATH brand. They make some quite good cookware for com'l use. Many if not most larger restaurant supplies seem to have them.

When used they will grow darker with every use. I guess that's seasoning because after a bit they are for all real purposes, non sticking.

edit, I guess I didn't get what skillet was being discussed before.

Last edited:
the carbon steel fry pans are heavy. for those with arthritis or bad wrists, get a thick aluminum restaurant pan...one plain one silver stone/teflon, they will cook well and be lighter in weight. Nordic ware, and several other companies make them.

I decided to get the 14" too as my Wolf will be able to handle it. Yes these babies cook.

Robo410 said:
the carbon steel fry pans are heavy. for those with arthritis or bad wrists, get a thick aluminum restaurant pan...one plain one silver stone/teflon, they will cook well and be lighter in weight. Nordic ware, and several other companies make them.

I decided to get the 14" too as my Wolf will be able to handle it. Yes these babies cook.

you're referring to the deBuyer pans, right? if so, i have to get used to mine... it takes a LOT of heat to get them hot; then, after getting to temp, they STAY hot for a LONG, LONG time.

i need to cook with them more often to get the feel for them.

this is why they are great for browning meat for a stew or a whole roast before braising. The heat holds and the pan does its job. ALso fine for a saute finished in the oven because the whole pan goes in, no problem!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom