"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Barkeepers Friend is not scouring powder. DO NOT USE SCOURING POWDER on your stainless! Either Barkeepers Friend or, if you can't find it, use Bon Ami.

Use a blue, NOT GREEN, scotchbrite scrubby when severe scrubbing is necessary. I use Stainless Steel utensils in mine. If something gets burned on, a two hour soaking with dishwashing liquid and hot water will usually allow you to just wipe it away with the sponge side of the scrubby

Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
...I've already put some stains on my new pan--why is that? why is it that stainless steel stains so easily?
Your stains are food residue, not metal stains (such as rust).

Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
While we are discussing cookware...
If anyone knows or hears of a saucepan set, let me know. They seem so outrageously priced singly, but are only offered as part of a larger set with items I don't need. I would love to get a set of just three saucepans.
Try Walmart or Target. I seem to recall some smaller sets there of decent quality.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I have a non scratch metal scrub bud. Low cost and some organic cleaners for pots pans/metal
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Jenny. I'll Google them.

BKF is found in the local hardware store here. I've never seen it in a grocery store or Walmart though.

Andy, maybe by "staining" they meant that funky blue color SS gets sometimes.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...BKF is found in the local hardware store here. I've never seen it in a grocery store or Walmart though.

I've seen it in BB&B and kitchen stores too.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
Executive Chef

got a canister of the bkf at my regular kroger's market. it works like a charm. and yes, i picked up one of the requisite blue non-scratch scrub sponges as well. god, this new ss pan of mine is already proving to be more high maintenance than some of my former boyfriends.... :)
Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #28
Sous Chef

vitauta -

I have multiple pots/pan with interior stainless of varying "constructions" - I use BKF to keep them polished and clean.

and, I am known to fire up the hand mixer and mash the potatoes in the same ss pot they boiled in.

edit add: forgot to mention, I use metal whisks and that marks them. plastic whisks (not seen a wooden one....) don't work - so there's some tasks/techniques that'll doom the pan...

here's the dirt: over time they're going to collect "marks" - it's not dents, dings or scratches - you can't feel anything even with a fingernail. it's 'mark' that a couple atoms thick. you can spend your life trying to avoid the inevitable, or get on with cooking for fun (g) here's a thought - buy two pots. keep one in the cabinet - never use it - it'll stay pretty. use the other one. when company comes, hide the used one and put out the new one for display . . .
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
Executive Chef

SS pans are particularly susceptible to 'staining' from deposits of food starches. Dried starch (eg pasta) is not an onerous food hazard. The starch deposits/stains should disappear if the pot is used to cook an acidic dish like a tomato based pasta sauce.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #30
Executive Chef

thank you for the helpful tips an pointers, dcsaute. that's a nice thoughtful thought at the end about how to keep the pretty pan pretty. but it is actually myself who this pretty pan needs to impress and please, after all. but i suspect it will be a lot like scratches on a new car--the first ones are painful, but then they are joined by many more, and pretty soon you no longer notice them or even care so much about it.... :)

Tags
cookware