"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
SS pans are particularly susceptible to 'staining' from deposits of food starches. Dried starch (eg pasta) is not an onerous food hazard. The starch deposits/stains should disappear if the pot is used to cook an acidic dish like a tomato based pasta sauce.
i am starting to feel like what i'm dealing with here is not so much a piece of practical cookware but a science project that becomes more complex with familiarity....seriously though, so far the most difficult stains on my pan are not from cooked on burgers or fried potatoes but from plain butter being melted for sauteing!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have scratched up the interiors of mine using the "boat motor". I also use wire whisks. I do like wooden/silicone utensils as they seem to get into nooks and crannies.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
Executive Chef

We have several 1960's WMF brand copper bottomed stainless steel pots which do not have many of the issues of modern multiply stainless steel pots. Do not know of any pricey AllClads that perform / clean up as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #34
Master Chef

SS is pretty maintainence free. Dishwasher and BKF if you have a stain or anything stubborn.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #35
Sous Chef

>> it is actually myself who this pretty pan needs to impress and please.

the proof of that is in the cooking, not the shine (g)

I have some copper pots - first question from DW was "and who is going to shine that?"
answer: "nobody. these are for cooking, not polishing."
the pot cooks great - tarnish and all.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #36
Executive Chef

i'm getting a $100.00, 2 1/2 quart saucepan, calphalon, ss clad, for under $40. now i am looking with some interest at the tramontia line of all clad cookware. (18/10 ss and .1 " thick back and sides is a description of one of their saute pans.) is there something i should know about this company? their prices are so low, it's worrisome. andy....? :)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #37
Cook

I mean as hell to my pans. I use all sorts of metal utensils during cooking and scouring pads to clean. Still, I've had no problems with food sticking and the pans hold up just very well
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm getting a $100.00, 2 1/2 quart saucepan, calphalon, ss clad, for under $40. now i am looking with some interest at the tramontia line of all clad cookware. (18/10 ss and .1 " thick back and sides is a description of one of their saute pans.) is there something i should know about this company? their prices are so low, it's worrisome. andy....? :)

I have a Tramontina clad skillet that works fine. I don't know of any negatives associated with their stuff.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMustard View Post
I mean as hell to my pans. I use all sorts of metal utensils during cooking and scouring pads to clean. Still, I've had no problems with food sticking and the pans hold up just very well

tomatomustard, your description of the way you (mis)treat your ss pans strikes just the right chord with me. it is everything i wanted from a relationship with my new indestructible ss pans, too. i couldn't wait to replace the wimpy scrub with a TerM-a-BraSeR, and go get to work with my heavy duty metal spatula, whisks and spoons! too bad, so sad, it wasn't to be. from the moment my shiny new stainless pan slid out from its packing carton, it began a mesmerizing show of graceful turns, bending its shapely curves, back and forth, in a satiny soft glow of its luminous patina, until....i was out buying barkeepers, gentle cleansing pads, and looking for suitable lodgings for this lofty new culinary guest, in my humble home....
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #40
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
tomatomustard, your description of the way you (mis)treat your ss pans strikes just the right chord with me. it is everything i wanted from a relationship with my new indestructible ss pans, too. i couldn't wait to replace the wimpy scrub with a TerM-a-BraSeR, and go get to work with my heavy duty metal spatula, whisks and spoons! too bad, so sad, it wasn't to be. from the moment my shiny new stainless pan slid out from its packing carton, it began a mesmerizing show of graceful turns, bending its shapely curves, back and forth, in a satiny soft glow of its luminous patina, until....i was out buying barkeepers, gentle cleansing pads, and looking for suitable lodgings for this lofty new culinary guest, in my humble home....
Is it weird that I'm turned on?

... too far?

Tags
cookware