Very old cast iron skillet - Manufacturer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riedch

Assistant Cook
I have a 100 year or so old cast iron skillet. It has a 12 cast on the helper handle, but no other markings. Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer?

The 12 may mean it's 12 inches in diameter...It may not. Without other markings my guess would be it would almost be impossible to identify the manufacturer with any degree of certainty....You may think about the history of the piece...that may offer some clues to follow up on....

Welcome to DC !!

Have Fun!

If the bottom of the skillet has a build up on it, it might be possible to remove it with a wire brush. We bought an old skillet from a yard sale that had a heavy build up on the bottom. There was apparently no mark on it.
After cleaning it up, we found it was made by Wagner Ware. Just a thought.

I've restored a number of old skillets I find at flea markets and such. Get the Easy Off oven cleaner with lye, I only found it at a hardware store. Slather it on heavy, all surfaces, wearing goggles and rubber gloves, do it outside. Then stick it in a garbage bag, and tie it shut. let it soak for 3 or 4 days. Scrub it clean with soap and water with a brass brush used for whitewall tires. Put the pan in a hot oven right away, to dry it completely, or it will flash rust right away. The pan should be virgin gray iron, and you can season it. I'll pass on a foolproof initial seasoning technique if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom