Wagner Cast Iron Skillets - quality of the new vs. the old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petek

Cook
In another thread Michael in FtW posted a link to a website American Culinary. It turns out that this company used to be known as Wagner, maker of fine cast iron products. This site still advertises CI products for sale. My question is: How does the quality of their current CI products compare to the older ones?

TIA

Pete Klimek

I dont know for sure about this company but my understaning is that ALL (including Lodge) new cast iron is not ground down after casting... this is why the old stuff is so much smoother..... I also think the quality of the metal iself is not as good anymore.....

They do seem to be claiming American made and are refencing the Griswold/Wagner legacy I wonder how the product measuers up myself.... my vintage CI is my most prized cookware.... I love the stuff.

I just found a 9" Griswold/Wagner Ware cast iron "chef skillet" in a second-hand store. It had apparently been used as a searing pan...crusty. So, I began scraping, just the inside. Once clean, a smooth-ground inside surface was revealed. Very nice. The sloping sides are curved, not straight, which would make it an excellent omelet pan, as well as a fine pan for searing veggies. I have just wiped it down with shortening and it is in the oven seasoning. The new ones just don't seem to be quite the same quality. Too bad.

yup. Only thing that has improved has been the handle shape (larger than the old one). The finish isn't as nice, and I would bet the iron formulation has changed for the cheaper. I also don't see any skillets/ fry pans with curved sides, only straight angled sides. The bottoms are coarse-finish now, so I wouldn't even think of steeling a knife on one the way Grandpa showed me back when.

I am new here and read the conversation about the electric Iron skillet. I also have one .My brother is always wanting me to give it to him . I have been trying to find where they are sold .do any of you out there have any information to share

I have an electric iron skillet .Do any of you out there have any information on where they can be purchased

Hi. poss, welcome to DC. Please don't think we're ignoring you. We're not. You have asked a tough one. What you have is a rarity, something that probably was not made for very long, and by only a few, or only one company. And it sounds like a nice piece of cookware.

I doubt you could find one new. I would scout flea markets, thrift stores and ebay... I saw something that looked sort of like one this weekend not sure if it was iron though.

Back
Top Bottom